i'm going crazy!!! (bf question)

my son is currently 3 months old, i am breast feeding him. but i have a problem with latching. The latch itself is fine, he actually has an excellent latch, i just dont know how to keep him latched on. he loves to pull off the boob every 10 seconds or so and relatch. this is getting painful, he also like to play with the boob in his mouth. how can i get him to stop this and just eat?

Hali_Taylor

Asked by Hali_Taylor at 7:23 PM on Nov. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Take him somewhere quiet and boring to eat. Both of my kids went through "stages" of that as they became more aware of and interactive with their surroundings. With my son I ended up switching him to the other side as soon as he let go of his latch, and then finishing up as soon as he let go on that side. He was pretty miserable for an afternoon, but the "eating is serious business" message got across.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 7:25 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I read in a baby book recently that around 3 or 4 months old is when they realize that the boob is not a part of them. So they are like, hey I can start, hey I can stop. So maybe he is just realizing this?
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:42 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Are you sure he is really hungry and not just playing out of boredom? If he is actually hungry and just distractible, try taking him into a quiet, kinda dark room until he outgrows the phase. With dd, I had to put her down when she pulled off, or physically hold her head in place to keep her latched on, which was not fun. Try the quiet areas, making absolutely sure he is hungry, and if he plays a whole bunch, give him a break for a minute or two then try again. Chances are this is just a phase, and he should pass through it quickly enough, probably right around his next growth spurt.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 11:21 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Is he really hungry? My daughter is 3 1/2 months old. She will do that after she fills up on one side and I switch her to the other. She is definitely playing then more than eating. But when she is starving, when she first latches on she goes to town.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Nov. 29, 2009