I don't get it!

I have a son whom will eat dinner at our usual time of 6:00Pm or so and then claim 2 hours later right before bedtime, he is STARVING!

Almost every night he does this, school nights or not. I can't let him go to bed hungry but he hardly eats everything on his plate as it is, though I give him his favorite foods.

Do any of your kids do this? Do you give in and let them eat something else?

Some times he wants a peanut butter and jelly sandwich or a bowl of cereal.

Drives me nuts when he pulls this. Even after I tell him, you are not getting anything later so you better eat now!

I know he eats lunch around noon, and out by 3PM and it seems when he does not want to eat an afternoon snack, he does this. I think he just trying to say up most nights. And he does not go to bed til near 9pm, up at 7am.

I guess this is normal? Being he can be a picky eater.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:11 PM on Nov. 28, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Save his supper in the fridge, especially since you say you are making his favorite foods. You can always warm it up before bedtime. I'm not about forcing a child to eat everything on their plate but they need a balanced meal. It won't be fun, and he'll get the idea if you aren't making him something new before bed. Now if he makes a good effort, then a nutritious snack before bed. Kids are great at seeing if you mean what you say.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 8:19 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• My rule has always been if you don't eat a good supper..or any meal for that matter do not expect to get a snack before the next meal. My boys never had an issue with this. My granddaughter, however, did. It took her about 2 weeks to really get the clue that I was not playing around. Meals are meals and snacks are AFTER a meal is finished and before the next. If one of mine ate a good supper and complained of hunger before bed they got fruit. A banana, grapes, a plum. If they turned their nose up at that..they were stalling and not hungry...goodnight kiddo.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:27 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I agree with PP. I use to save my kids dinner in the fridge. They got so use to getting a snack before bed, once I started this they chilled out with the snack.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 8:29 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• You're giving false threats. "You won't get anything later if you don't eat now", but he knows very well that you will give something to him later. He's manipulating you, because he knows he can get away with it. If you're going to tell him you won't give anything later, then stand your ground and don't give him anything later. If you're going to give in, then don't threaten it to begin with. If he's not eating all of his dinner then make him sit there until he does. He's parenting you, by telling you when it's time to eat and not to eat. If you want him to have dinner with you, then sit him down and have him stay there until he eats. You're the parent and if you want certain rules a certain way, then don't back down and give in to what your kids want. Stand up for your parenting and enforce the rules that are given to him. There are rules, bounderies, and limits for a reason. No child will follow them if everyone gave in.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:04 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I also agree with the saving the dinner in the fridge and letting him choose from that again. My son always does that and so I reoffer him dinner i say 'oh well look at this your so lucky we saved your dinner let me heat it up and you can eat it now ' and he goes for it! I dont give him another option though. If he does eat all his dinner and then two hours later says he's hungary i will give him a few choices of something to eat before bed (cheese, apple, carrots etc)
    82ndairbornewif

Answer by 82ndairbornewif at 11:01 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Thanks everyone.

Will have to try saving the dinner in the fridge., for when he claims he is so full........and would rather play after dinner. He tries that tactic too. Funny, I used to do that, saving his food til later when he 'claims' he is starving.

I've just not had the extra snacks for after dinner too, they are for after school. He loves dipping baby carrots in dip or having the apples or oranges or some other fruit.

Thanks for the tips.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Forget saving dinner. He eats at supper or not at all. Period, end of discussion. Even if you save his dinner, he knows he can eat later!!! He's stalling for time to keep from going to bed!!!

Supper time is supper time. Bed time is bed time!! Saving his supper you're still giving him what he wants!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:25 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• My son used to do thiss... till we stopped.... my kids can eat to their hearts content at dinner, butwhen dinner is done, dinner is done. There is a good chance your is not really starving.... most kids do this as a way to prolong bedtime.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 11:50 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Save his supper. When he whines that he is hungry, give him his plate. Don't make anything special for him. If he eats all his supper & is still hungry then give him something else. A few times dong this & he'll start eating all his supper.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 12:40 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• At my house it's eat dinner at dinner time or eat breakfast the next day. I will not allow my children to make there own eating schedule. Now id they ate a great dinner and are 'hungry' later I do let them get a small snack. I mean crackers, yogurt, fruit, a cookie... But if you didn't eat dinner...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:22 PM on Nov. 29, 2009