Would I be able to relactate to breastfeed my 3 year old son? I stopped breastfeeding him around 9 and 10 months old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:25 PM on Nov. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• Someone said breastmilk was still okay for toddlers, I want the best for him, even though it will probably weird me out.
    Anonymous

• He's a preschooler, thats just a little perverted to want to start up again now, most self wean around 2 years old!
    Anonymous

• Anon :27, if most children self wean by 2 then howcome the worldwide average is 4.4 years.

Breastmilk is still great for toddlers! It's excellent nutrition and they still get antibodies that protect them from illness.

You will probably find that he does not remember how to latch. Most kids forget very quickly after they wean. But you can still try. Have him try to latch on. If he's not interested, or can't remember how to do it, you can get a really good pump and try that way. Some women have a pretty easy time relactating and others have to really work hard at it. Give it a try and see what happens :)

Good luck!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 8:32 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I don't think this is a real question..just someone wanting drama
    Anonymous

• You could try, but with a 3 yo who hasn't had to latch since he was 9 or 10 months, it's less likely to be successful. Also I can't see him being that interested in it either (that's just based on my 3 ds, he's way too busy to put in the time and effort that would be required). You could try pumping and giving it to him in a cup.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 8:35 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• OP here, it is a real question. I feel bad that I didn't try for long enough after seeing many responses to another question and their toddler still breastfeed :(
    Anonymous

• I see, I could try to pump and give it to him. I guess I wasn't sure how the relactation process goes.
    Anonymous

• Don't feel bad, there are some women out there who's whole goal is to make themselves feel better about their parenting by making others feel bad about theirs. You did what was best for your son and your family, I do what's best for mine. None of those women were in your shoes (or your nursing bra) and don't know what lead to your decision to stop bf'ing when you did. If you really want to try to relactate, give it a shot, maybe contact a LC for some advice or join a bf'ing group, but don't make the decision based on what other moms are doing, do it based on what you feel is best for you and your family.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 8:44 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I would try pumping. My 2 year old is fascinated when I nurse the 1 year old, but it is SO funny to see his reaction when I offer him a breast! Lol! I doubt very much, that you could get him to nurse.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:46 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I don't agree with breastfeeding children past the age of a year old, and even that's pushing it. However, it is your choice and your right to how long and even if you breastfeed. Don't allow yourself to be taken down by other women who breastfeed their toddlers. You can't relactate by pumping again, the milk doesn't just sit in there waiting for you. It dries up until you become pregnant again. Try talking to your doctor about medications that can help you lactate again. That's if you really are choosing to breastfeed because you want to, and not because of how others have chosen to breastfeed. Don't do something because of what others say, that was their choice not yours. Do it souly for you and your son, that's it. I think breastfeeding a child who is preschool age is disgusting, personally. However, again that's your choice not mine.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:00 PM on Nov. 28, 2009