Why does she wake up SCREAMING or why won't she sleep?

DD is almost one year old. We've only had sleeping problems with her when she's been sick. Otherwise, she sleeps through the night as soon as we put her down (and needs very little assistance). But in the last few nights, she won't fall asleep unless she's either being held or can see one of us. I've thought it could be teething, developing separation anxiety, or having nightmares. She hates pacifiers and has a night light. No ear infection. No fever. We tried to get her CIO, but she gets to the point where it sounds like she may vomit. I've noticed less time asleep during the day. We've never co-slept. Consistent routine. Great at daycare (but less naps). I've run down this list a million times!

SlightlyPerfect

Asked by SlightlyPerfect at 8:36 PM on Nov. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do you go get her when she screams during the night? If so, then that is why. She knows she'll get your attention if she starts screaming during the night so she continues to do it. I would stop going in her room (as long as you know she is completely safe and fine). She will more than likely stop soon after you stay consistent with not running to her call.
    Anonymous

• If she's crying, it's because she needs something (even if that something is just mommy). Go to her, help her to sleep... it'll pass.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 8:52 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I really don't this to turn into a CIO vs coddling thing. I just need her to sleep. She is independent and very loved. We just need to figure out what this is. I would appreciate answers that veered away from this (very different) debate topic.

Anon, I can only let her CIO so much. I'm all for CIO to a point. I can't let her continue to cry at the risk of her vomiting.
    SlightlyPerfect

Answer by SlightlyPerfect at 9:14 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• It could be teething, or growing pains... try giving her tylenol before bed see if that helps if not, could it be nightmares?
    MammaMcC

Answer by MammaMcC at 9:46 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• DD has started doing that; she is almost a year. As I had nightmares and night terrors as a young child, we figure that is what causes her to wake up; there are no other causes for it. We wait a few minutes to see if she will go back to sleep on her own, if she doesn't one of us goes in and soothes her back to sleep whatever way works best. It usually only takes 5-10 minutes for her to go back to sleep, and she'll sleep the rest of the night, usually. If it's nothing else- icky diapers, teething, cold, hot, fever, hunger, it is very likely that she is dreaming and startling herself awake, then she is confused and needs to see mommy or daddy to know that everything is all right and her world is still the way it was when she went to sleep.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 11:13 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I think this is completely your preference. She probably just wants your attention. It is your choice whether you let her cry it out for a few nights and get over it or if you continue to go in and giver her the attention she is screaming for. Everyone's opinion is bound to be different, it is what you are comfortable doing.
    HappyHomeMommy

Answer by HappyHomeMommy at 8:34 PM on Dec. 12, 2009