Toddler with add

OK so has anyone had a child diagnosed with add as a toddler? I think my dd (3) has add my mom & mil have both said they think she has it and today I finally looked into it and she has a lot of the tendencies
I don’t know if I need to talk to her dr now or just wait until she gets sick again and bring it up again but her behavior has been getting out of hand and I’m at my wits end. Don’t bash and I know they can have it as toddlers I did a lot of research and her uncles have it and I think I do too

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:45 PM on Nov. 28, 2009 in Kids' Health

• OMG I think everyone in the world has ADD!! So freaking annoying; let her be a kid!
    Anonymous

• what part of no bashing is so hard for you to understand you have a 3 year old hurting their self and throwing such bad fits that you can't even take him or her out in public and are considering holding them back and see if you don't think somethings wrong you know what don't reply back
    Anonymous

• You can't diagnose a toddler with ADD. Toddlers are often hyperactive, inattentive, and show signs of sparatic learning patterns. Often times wrongly diagnosed as a learning dissability. You can't even accurately diagnose a child until they're in the 2nd or 3rd grade at the earliest. When they start to settle down, are given the chance to retain more knowledge at one time, and forced to pay attention. Toddlers have a horrible attention span, because they're curious and just starting to learn about their world. They are often hyperactive, even the calmest of children can have sperts of hyperactivity. They also have a sparatic learning pattern as some things are easier for them to retain then others. I don't believe a child, especially a child, can be properly diagnosed with ADD/ADHD until they're about 2nd/3rd grade. Even then it can easily be wrongly diagnosed.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:55 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• A 3 y/o cannot be diagnosed with ADD/ADHD because, as a pp mentioned, in order to be diagnosed the behaviors must be atypical for the child's expected level of development and age, and the behaviors typically associated with ADD/ADHD are very typical behaviors for the average 3 y/o. According to the DSM-IV-R (diagnostic reference manual psychologists & psychiatrists use to determine if someone fits the criteria of a particular mental health disorder), a child cannot even be considered for a diagnosis until the age of 6 years or older.

If you truly believe that there is something developmentally "wrong" with your 3 y/o, have her properly evaluated by an appropriate medical professional (eg..pediatric & adolescent psychiatrist, developmental pediatrician, etc.). You can also have her evaluated for free by your local school district through the special education department's early childhood division.
    Anonymous

• A toddler CAN be diagnosed with ADD or ADHD!! It is possible, but only in rare and extreme cases. If you feel there are problems, talk to your pediatrician, call your school district's special education department, contact a pediatric psychologist and/or developmental pediatrician.

I live with an adult who was diagnosed early and a son who was diagnosed early. It is VERY possible to diagnose early, don't listen to those above!! It doesn't happen every day, but it does happen!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I am not bashing-
    It could simply be your parenting style is not what your toddler needs. Some toddlers are more stubborn or active or curious. Some respond better to time out some to spankings others to natural consequences. Some children do better with a very firm routine others need a looser one. I would start by talking to your ped about some behavior modification techniques that may be better suited for you situation. Give it a good and consistent try. Then if that doesn't work talk about going to a developmental ped. ADD is constantly being misdiagnosed in a child with sensory or pervasive developmental disorders. Do look into it. Don't lock yourself into any diagnosis especially at age 3. I am with you though. My child is 5 and has been having problems since he was 3 we are not at the point of having him screened for a sensory or Pervasive developmenta disorder.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:31 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• *'Now at the point ' not 'not at the point' Sorry
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:32 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• All toddlers should be somewhat "ADD" simply for the fact that the world is new & there's lots of exploring to do.

Before you push your dr for an ADD dx, please have a food panel rast test for IgG done to rule out any food sensitvities that could be causing any behavioral or learning issues.

motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 12:35 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• All preschoolers are ADD! They are supposed to be like that.
    I think if you are having troubles then it's probably something you are doing in your parenting that isn't working. Explore different options and I bet things get better.
    I'm a pediatrics nurse and of the hundreds of kids I've worked with... the children that have behavior issues have parenting issues, it's not the kid that has the problem.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:37 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I agree that it could be your parenting style that makes her seem like she has this. My sister's son is very "wild" but he pretty much gets away with everything, and rarely gets into trouble. My children are a little more disciplined and listen better, but I've always kept a firm hand on them. And sometimes it's the amount of time that you spend doin things, especially like playing out side where you can make her run, that will help, not giving them alot of sugar helps. My sister's son's father was insisting that he had add.... well, he doesn't. Even the dr agrees that it is their parenting style that lends to his behaviour. You can change their "wildness" if you are willing to re evaluate yourself and your rules and discipline (and I am not saying you have to spank. but enforce the rules you make). Don't make everything a battle and "schedule" more active play time with you so you can keep her going!
    Anonymous