How can I keep my kids out of the refrigerator?

We have tried the latches from Walmart but they have figured them out! So how can I keep them out of the fridge? All they do is open it and stand there looking but they arent hungry or starving. Please help!!

mommaof3girls24

Asked by mommaof3girls24 at 8:50 PM on Nov. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• It has taken about 6 months (I think). My 2 and 3 year old were constantly opening the fridge. It was repeated correction and telling them to ask first!! Once I felt like they knew the rule, I started disciplining them for it. Just these last two weeks they have BOTH started asking permission before getting into the fridge!! I am SO excited!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:03 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I had to put a cow bell on it. My 17mo ds was taking out lemon juice and eggs and making a mess on top of the dog kennel.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 9:15 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Tell them NO.
    Anonymous

• We have always told them no and it's not working. They have learning disabilities and my oldest has ODD. We have also spanked a couple of times but it doesnt seem to work either.
    mommaof3girls24

Answer by mommaof3girls24 at 9:43 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I just don't buy things that they are super excited about eating. I have two w/adhd and they also have behavioral problems. I just bought a storage locker(w/akey;) I wish I had done it ages ago! I put sweets in it or juice boxes or any other thing that they should not have. I also bought a very small chest freezer that also locks. I know where you are coming from.
    The idea of no means no-not realistic for all of us.
    oh, if you need something smaller to lock stuff up in,walmart has small safes. GL;)
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 9:57 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• If you figure out how, let me know, Mine are teens and you'd think there was movies playing in there, the way they keep opening the door and standing there staring in.
    Anonymous

• Be the parent and punish them. Your looking for gagets and devices to solve a discipline problem. I don't care what age they are staring into the fridge is not acceptable, nor is random grazing. My kids, 14 and 11 ask for snacks, I set the rules.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 10:28 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• mine are 2 and 3, bunji straps lol, tried it it has worked dont do it now bc my daughter gets something she wants my son however happens to love eggs (get the pic lol) anyways thats replacable, i tell them no it sometimes works. But its trial & error on both parts he is learning & shes starting to ask. They will both show what they want so thats good. Fact is that mommies are there to clean messes & if u dont want to tie ur fridge shut or get locks deal with it and teach them. mine still get into can goods (latches they have figured out) I have but one small cabinet they are not allowed in & they abide by that (bad stuff is in there lol) pots, pans, cans im fine i can pick that up & put it back (most of the time i make them do it) but it is a learning process just like at this age I am making mine clean toys to see the tv shows they are wanting to watch or get what they want. Its not bribery however earning what they want!
    babygirl8302006

Answer by babygirl8302006 at 11:36 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• HAHA! Wait til they're teens!!!
    lauriebash

Answer by lauriebash at 12:06 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• my kids have to ask me for food and snacks first. I know what I need to use for dinner and how long away dinner time is. I do not allow them to just stand there with the door open reading the menu. this has been taught to them since they could walk and open things.
    If they are not hungry then they are bored try giving them something to do or do something with them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:54 AM on Nov. 29, 2009