Shoplifitng

If your teen came home and said he/she were out with a friend shopping and when they got home his/her friend pulled a bunch of stuff out that they shoplifted. What would you do? I would call the parents immediately.

dillonsma

Asked by dillonsma at 9:25 PM on Nov. 28, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Nothing, I wouldn't let my kid go shopping with them anymore. All that would start is drama between your kid and her friend.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 9:29 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• This actually did happen to us and I did call the mother. There was no drama because the mother said, "Kids will be kids". Needless to say that friendship was blocked. Talked to my daughter very calmly and explained how wrong stealing is and if she and her friend were caught they would both go to jail. My daughter was smart enough to not fight when I wouldn't allow her friend over anymore. BTW, the girl ended up getting caught and going to jail for 6 months.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 9:43 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I'm with the PP on not allowing them to hang out ... not just shop but hang out at all. Obviously this kid is incapable of making good choices , and your child could of been considered and accessory even if they took nothing. I'd speak to your child about it and see how they felt about their friend shop lifting. I'm indecisive if I'd tell the parents or not but I'm sure in the end I would because it's something they need to be aware of and I'd want someone to tell me if my son shoplifted.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 9:43 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• We'd be having a serious talk, that's for sure. Yes I would call the friend's parents as well.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:19 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Yep - I'd call the kid's parents, and my child would be done "shopping" with that particular friend as long as my child still lived under my roof.
    GoodMomma24-7

Answer by GoodMomma24-7 at 9:55 PM on Nov. 29, 2009