What do you consider an alcholic?

Someone who drinks every day? Someone who drinks to excess? Some one who has a high tolerance for alcohol? Would you consider two glasses of wine before thanksgiving dinner and two with dinner- then two after dinner drinks over doing it? This was over the course of 8 hours and there was no feeling of being drunk.

mmmegan38

Asked by mmmegan38 at 9:30 PM on Nov. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I consider an alcoholic someone who hits the bottle to get rid of their stress or someone that is dependent on alcohol. Whatever you did on thanksgiving I wouldn't consider anywhere close to alcoholism.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 9:32 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I consider an alcholic someone who needs a drink to get through life. I don't consider 4 glasses of wine on a holiday overdoing it especially when 2 of the glasses of wine was with dinner. Food absorbes the alcohol.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 9:35 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Someone who knows that their drinking is affecting them and the ones they love, but still continues to do it..
    berrysweetmamma

Answer by berrysweetmamma at 9:39 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Someone who needs alcohol. Someone who goes through withdraws if they don't have a drink (shaking, getting sick..). What you mentioned in the post doesn't sound like an alcoholic in my opinion. Even if the person did get drunk does that make them an alcoholic if they only get drunk once a month, or on stressful holidays?lol Being an alcoholic means you have an addiction; it's not just someone who likes to have a drink once in a while. Or after work.
    Anonymous

• If you drink to relieve stress it does not make you an alcoholic ... people smoke to relieve stress.... people have massages to relieve stress... its all about how you handle it and moderation of the drinking
    Anonymous

• I think that a dependancy on Alcohol makes one an alcoholic, not being able to go out and have fun without getting wasted or tore up is the definition of an alcoholic. I know plenty of people who go home have a glass or two of wine with dinner, one that makes herself a cocktail and several who drink beer but don't get sloppy, buzzed or hammered. Being able to control yourself on alcohol is what matters
    When your life is affected and can not work with alcohol it's time to admit you have a problem
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 9:46 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• An alcoholic is someone who cannot get through the day without having at least one drink, either socially with a group or alone. The behavior must happen everyday and can happen at the same time or different times throughout the day. The key is that they MUST have that drink no matter what. They do not have to be falling down drunk, they do not have to drink alone, they do not have to drink a specific kind of liquor or at a particular time of day, etc. They do have to have a drink - period.

The amount of alcohol that you are able to consume in one sitting has nothing to do with whether or not you are an alcoholic. I have known people who drink only once or twice a year, but when they do drink, they can drink hardcore drinkers under the table. It all depends on how you metabolize the alcohol as to how fast or even whether you will get drunk.
    Anonymous

• An alcoholic is someone who will not give it up-- whether they are "social" drinkers or drunks. No one "needs" alcohol-- for any reason. There is no biologcial advantage of drinking alcohol-- we only have the genes to metabolize ethanol so that we could digest rotten fruit in lean times.

I do think that drinking 6 glasses of wine to be excessive, regardless of how long a period it was drunk nor whether it was a holiday nor whether it was over dinner. 6 glasses is 6 glasses. The fact one cannot find something else to drink and wanted/needed 6 glasses is rather sad.
    Anonymous

• I'm reading all the answers above and they seem to describe my opinions exactly.
    My father is an alcoholic. Even when he wasn't drinking for a few years, he was an alcoholic. When they still have that craving and have to fight that monkey on their back every single day then they are an alcoholic.
    By the way, anyone who says that alcoholism is hereditary is full of crap.
    Neither me nor my brother drink to excess nor do we crave it. In fact, I'll have one drink perhaps once or twice a year and that's it.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 5:47 AM on Nov. 29, 2009