my husband and i both have blonde hair, why is babys hair black?

we both had blonde hair as kids and we both have darker hair as adults, but my baby has dark brown almost black hair.

my dad and two sisters have black hair, but i thought it was the parents genes?

i didnt cheat on my husband, whats up with the dark hair?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 9:36 PM on Nov. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The whole gene thing isn't solely based upon the parents it includes alot of people in your family. Some kids hair lighten up as they grow older and when you cut it. Thats what I did. I have dark brown hair and my hubby had red. When my son was born he had blond hair. At 2 years old he now has brown.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 9:39 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Your parents' genes are part of your genes so it's perfectly fine that your baby has dark hair as do you dad and sisters. Both of my parents have brown hair and I have red hair. Two of my great grandparents, one on each side, are the closest family with red hair.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:39 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• SO and I were born with brown hair and currently have brown hair....our son was born with dark brown hair, lost it when he was 3 m/o and it grew back blonde! as far as I know there are no natural blones on my side of the family, i'm not sure about SO's, but the gene is in the family tree somewhere!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:42 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Both my husband and I had blonde hair as children too. We now have brown hair. My son was born with a head full of black hair. His hair fell out at about 2-3 months old and grew back blonde. He is 5 now and still has blonde hair, but more than likely it will turn brown in a few years.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:42 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• My DH and I both have dark brown hair. We both were blonde when we were younger. My daughter was born with jet black hair. It then fell out and she is now a very light blonde. My son was born with light brown hair and still has light brown hair. Genetics are a very funny thing and hair and eye color and skip generations. That's why a red head can pop up after generations of there not being one in a family.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 9:46 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• It probably won't stay black, since you and your husband are both blonde.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:47 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I was born with dark hair, which all fell out at about 2months & grew back platinum blonde...which then darkened as I got older (I now have dark brown hair with a hint of red)
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 10:07 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I have dark brown hair and my husbands hair is so dark its almost black. My 3yr old has sandy light brown hair. Its those recessive genes.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 10:12 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• i have green eyes dh has brown eyes are ds has blue eyes.
    my niece has green eyes and blond hair yet her parents have brown eyes and browh hair. like karamille said recessive genes
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:22 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• There are numerous genes that contribute to hair color. You're right that blond hair is a recessive trait and usually requires 2 sets of recessive genes. But your hair color is dependent on not only the color, but the saturation, texture, etc. In my case, I'm Asian and have very black hair. My husband is blond. Our son is blond. I'm guessing that although I may have the dominant genes for the color, my husband has the dominant genes for saturation. Our son also has green eyes. In fact, although at first blush I thought our son would be a clone of me, he, instead, is a clone of his father.
    Anonymous