Should I look for another job?

I have had the luxury of being a stay at home/college going mom for the past few years. My son is in school now, so my husband told me that it would be best if I get a job since money has been really tight here lately. I have an Associate Degree and I am working on my Bachelor's degree. Anyways, I took the first job that was offered to me. I only get paid minimum wage, but my boss is great. She really believes in family before anything else. I have been able to take off for my son's doctor's appointments with no problems. But here is the problem- I have to work until 6 and my son has to be picked up by 6 which means that either my husband or my sister has to pick him up for me depending on my husband's work schedule. However, my hours are changing in January so this won't be a problem for much longer. My husband though thinks that I have settled for this job, and that I can find a better paying job elsewhere. Continued..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 PM on Nov. 28, 2009 in Money & Work

• Take it from another Associate's Degree holder, if you like the job, stick with it. The job market is not one that will allow you to simply go out and find a job that your husband thinks is "good enough". I go through this regularly with my husband- your boss should pay you more(small business, low profit), you should find a better job(I'm actually overqualified for the limited range around here and can't get hired), and so on. Stay were you are if you are satisfied. There's no point in risking the income you have for something that may not come through.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 10:53 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Start a stealth job search and see what you can find! There are great tips and support in the job hunting moms group: http://www.cafemom.com/group/102837

Answer by rkoloms at 10:33 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Cont. He thinks that since I have some education that I my job as a daycare teacher is beneath me. I enjoy my job for the most part. I don't see myself doing this as a lifelong career, but I really enjoy my co-workers, my boss, and having some of the flexibilities of taking time off when I need too. Should I look for another job? I am afraid that if I do find another job then I will not be able to take off for my son's doctor's appointments. (He has one every 3 months, plus I am trying to get him into therapy for his disorder). What should I do?

Anonymous

• Honey, jobs are NOT easy yo find! Stick with what you have!
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 10:37 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Have you ever thought about working from home? I work from home and I can help you work from home too! I work around my family's schedule. My son goes to therapy three times a week, so I know how you feel about Dr.'s appointments/therapy. That is the main reason why I chose to work from home. I work with a great team of Moms; we help people create income from home. No parties, No inventory, No MLM! WEEKLY PAY! FREE website, training, and UNLIMITED support!! Just A SAFE, SIMPLE, SENSIBLE, and SOLID ... NO-RISK HOME BUSINESS. The best part is I can make money and be with my Family!!! Joining Internet CEO Moms is one of the best decisions I have made for my family and myself. You can have the best of both worlds too!!
    I would love to give you more information and help you reach your financial goals!
    Erika
    Proud Member of Internet CEO Moms!
    Check out my website
    http://www.4MyFamilyandMe.com/
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 2:12 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Can't you schedule your child's Dr. appointment around your work schedule? This is typically what every other mother in the world does. Yes, some jobs do not allow you time off... it's called the real world. If you can do better and have the education, YES, I would definitely search for a better paying job, not something that works around Dr's appointments.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Anon 11:01- Unless you know what it is like to have a special needs child and the many doctor's appointments and therapies that some of them need, then stfu and move on.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Working from home is a great way to have your cake and eat it too! Especially being a student, it makes sense. My daughters both have a work at home job and they did it through college. Join our new group that can help you out, www.cafemom.com/group/108037
    nanaevelyn

Answer by nanaevelyn at 12:15 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• I am involved in this awesome company called the Trump Network/ Ideal Health. It offers many nutritional and weight loss products to help you get healthy. The best part is that you can join the company and make money from your living room. This is like no other company you have ever joined. Everyone involved is like a family. We want to see you succeed and will help you every step of the way. Check it out and if you have any questions let me know

www.jointnt.com/nicolemuschett
    chiro789

Answer by chiro789 at 5:19 PM on Nov. 30, 2009