How can I start preparing my 21 month old son for the arrival of his baby sister?

He will be 25 months old when she is born...

Asked by crazysocks830 at 11:34 PM on Jun. 24, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am in a similar situation. My son will be 23 months when his sister is born. I talk to him about the baby and he has a Cabbage Patch Kid that we practice being gentle with. We also read books and I point to pictures of babies. I have also made a big effort not to refer to him as baby anymore though it is hard. I keep telling him he is the big boy and I will point to my belly and say there is a baby in there. I also had a friend who recently had a baby so we let him look at her and touch her gently and I show him pictures of her and tell him she is a baby and he is a big boy. I am sure there will still be jealousy issues because when I held my friend's baby he suddenly wanted to sit in my lap and he never sits in my lap.

Answer by rasbneon at 11:30 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• I think you should start letting him know that their is a baby in you stomach, and that she will be coming out to live with you, and tell him that he is gonna be a big kid and that he can help mommy with the baby, i would make something for the baby and let him help, like a picture, help read a book, or go to Build a Bear if you have one by you and he can help make the baby a present, just make sure you include him in everything and talk about the baby as often as possible to him.

Answer by kutekel19 at 11:46 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• My sons are 24 months apart and when I was still pregnant I would tell my toddler that there was a baby inside and would point to my belly. I always made sure he was gentle with Mama's tummy etc. When my second son was born, our toddler came into the room and pointed to the baby and then my stomach and said "baby" he somehow totally understood that the baby came from my stomach and was no longer in there.

Answer by HuckFinn at 1:45 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Along with talking about it, I bought my boys ( yes, BOYS!) a baby doll. They loved taking care of it like I took care of the new baby. Now that they're older, Bob the baby has become a football... =}

Answer by barrettboys at 9:23 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Well I dont know exactly the "right" way to do it lol but since I will be in almost the same situation as you are .. except cash will only be 21 months when our baby is born...I was just planning on telling him about the baby in momas tummy and that he/she will be living with us, and my mom said she had my older sister and I get or make our little sister new baby gifts. Oh we also got him a pretty life like baby doll... we already got him one bc we knew we'd be trying and I will hold the baby and "change" it and let him hold it, its cute he tries to feed it his babas lol... BEST OF LUCK MAMA I'm sure he'll be an awesome big brother

Answer by joscelyne at 10:34 AM on Jun. 25, 2008