1YEAR OLD WITH HARD BOWLS IN PAIN HELP

ok my one year old daughter has been having constipation hard stools that make her cry and scream when she goes, took her to doc he gave me suppositirries, taht helped for limited time, then he sed try apple juice that doesnt help at all, we switched to skimmed milk by docs orders and styil nothing changed her diet and shes still having rock hard poops! help me please i need an answer.

-Mom in need of help and fast!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:50 PM on Nov. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you tried prune juice? I heard that works too.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 10:52 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I use prune juice only the kind with the sun on it seems to work best but it doesn't work right away. Also try suppositories they work right away, If its really bas I use a enema. Good luck.
    my2loves0607

Answer by my2loves0607 at 10:54 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• WERE can i get suppositroies Glycerin kind is what i need the pharmacy here no longer sells them... and what about enema?
    Anonymous

• what she needs is a softener, not a laxative. Go to the store and buy her stool softener. The poop will stop being rock hard. Also, increase water intake while on the softener.

NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 11:00 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• talk to your ped. about Miralax i know its safe for kids how small im not sure mine started on it at 3. He was having the same issue its not a laxative its a softener and its put in juice water etc. you might even be able to buy it over the counter check it out.
    Anonymous

• Do you live by a wal-mart? My pediatrician told me NO stool softener, but all pedi's are different. I always use baby fleet enema I only use half of the enema. Try calling your Dr. or local pharmacy and see what they recommend.
    my2loves0607

Answer by my2loves0607 at 11:07 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I agree with night pheonix. She needs to soften her poop and that's the best way. I feel so bad for your little one. My DD had this problem one time and got a hemorriod (I'm sure that's misspelled) and for a long while after that everytime she pooped it hurt. Hope you find what your looking for quick. Good luck!
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 11:09 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I agree with the Miralax... talk to your pediatrician about a dose for your daughter.
    With my son he was also having really hard painful stools and we were about to bring it up to his doctor but then we changed his milk to 2% and also cut back how much milk he takes in a day... problem solved! Now he only gets about 10 oz of milk in a day where he had been getting around 24 oz. Now he gets more water and some watered down juice.
    Either way I would increase her water intake
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:09 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• You have to get her stools soft without using medications. The bowel can get used to using medications, then it won't work on its own. Prune juice is good, but alot of kids don't like the flavor. Increase her water intake. Fruit - any kind is good except for bananas. They are constipating. Dried fruit to snack on. I use benefiber/ fibersure in my daughters milk. She is a huge milk drinker and this doesn't change the flavor or texture of the milk. I use about 1 tsp in her glass of milk every morning. It isn't a medication, it just bulks up the stool. Get her excercising more if you can. A good run in the park, or chasing her around the house in a game will help. Warm baths help also. Good luck!
    kassie726

Answer by kassie726 at 11:14 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• My son is 14mos now but when he was a lil younger between 2-9mos he had issues too. He would have rock hard stools that would not come out on their own after like 7-14days of NO poops. I was terrified everytime & frustrated b/c everything I did I still didnt understand & every case can be different but in my sons case I had to use over the counter ( walmart ) suppositories. They were quick! within 10sec-1min he would start to grunt & I would push his legs back gently & help it come out, many times we had to assist. Increasing his water intake did help a little at times & whole prunes vs the juice or baby food helped several times. I stopped feeding him baby cereals & food high in fiber cuz they only made it worse for him. Eventually around 9mos it worked itself out w/out any further intervention. I wish you luck! its tough stuff..heartbreaking to watch the lil ones be in pain I know...
    whispers2005

Answer by whispers2005 at 11:31 PM on Nov. 28, 2009