is it ok that my 2 month old eats cereal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:11 PM on Nov. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 2 months old is way too young. Their stomach is still very sensitive and wont beable to digest it properly.
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 11:12 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I agree, thats way too young for solids. the best time to start solids is when the baby can sit up on their own, has teeth, and does not 'lick or suck on the spoon. Also cereal isn't the best food to start with, maybe better though if its homemade. But before a year babies don't need solids for nutrition, but its just a way to learn new textures and tastes. cereal doesn't have much of either.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 11:18 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I think if you have to ask you already know the answer is no.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:25 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• my son was eating cereal at 2 months. It helped satisfy him more. I just made it pretty runny to avoid choking hazards.
    Anonymous

• add it to their formula it helps coat their stomach and satifies them, it also can help settle their stomachs but stick to rice cereal. as well talk to ur dr mine allowed me to do it with my kids.
    babygirl8302006

Answer by babygirl8302006 at 11:57 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I would consult the pediatrician before feeding baby anything other than breastmilk/formula. Once the pediatrician gives the ok then I would mix the cereal with baby's milk and make it very runny, and spoon feed it to him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• oops- meant to say put the cereal and babymilk in a bowl, mix it up and spoon feed it from the bowl-- DO NOT put it in the bottle!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• At 2 months an infant does not have the tongue ability to swallow anything thicker then formula/breastmilk. When you "spoon feed them" its basically running down the back of there throat. Every single time you do this you risk choking your infant to death bottom line. Harsh but true. Some doctors say to add a smidge to there bottle. MOST doctors will tell you there systems are just not ready for it.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 1:46 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Please go by the advice of the first 2 ladies who answered this. I am a maternal and child nutritionist. So I will give you this for advise andyour general knowledge. The infant gut does not develope until somewhere around 4 - 6 months .Every child is different so we recommend exclusive breastfeeding for the 1st 6 months. What we have found is there is no problem with waiting but if the infant's gut is not ready it can cause serious stomach upsets.

2 months is way to young. My guess is that someone told you your baby will sleep through the night if you give your child cereal. Your childshould be waking approx. every 2 - 3 hours to promote brain growth and development. as they get older they begin to sleep longer but the will continue to wake through the 1st year. after 6 months it is usually cut down to once or twice.
    NuttyMommyof2

Answer by NuttyMommyof2 at 2:12 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I started mine at 3 months on cereal
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 3:12 AM on Nov. 29, 2009