how to get your kid to go potty in the night?

my so does great during the day but he's still in pull ups at night Do i need to get up and have him go or will he learn on his own?

Tigeress444

Asked by Tigeress444 at 11:33 PM on Nov. 28, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When I potty trained my daughter as soon as she got the hang on the day we put her in underwear at night. She had 2 accidents and thought it was so gross to be in a wet bed that she hasn't done it since. ( that was a year ago) We also limit drinks..no drinks after 7pm and she has to use the potty before bed. She sleeps through the night without any problems.

I don't know about potty training a boy but I would say I would pick a day and stop the pullups and go right to underwear. He will learn. Good luck.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 12:15 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I have potty trained 3 boys and 2 girls. The girls we never had an issue with. Boys we always had toget them up to go pee between 11-12. they went right back to sleep. After 6 months or so their bodies get used to it. they all eventiually learned to get up during the night to go. We did limit drinks after 7..but your body continuously makes urine regardless. It's an inconvience but no real big deal.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:20 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• It is really not a big deal my DD isn't ready so we will wait until she is, there is such pressure to potty train earlier and earlier these days. I am not one to take away drinks I always take water to bed I get dry at night and I let my DD do the same. Everyone I talked to said by 5 she should be ready and if not it is the time to start pushing for it.
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 2:07 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I just waited until my son woke up dry every night for a week then switched him to underwear which was shortly before he turned 3. If they're going to need to get up in the middle of the night they're probably too young.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 12:45 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• My grandson is 5 1/2. We have only JUST achieved any consistancy with his potty training. He is developementally delayed.. I agree many ppl are trying to potty train too soon. All kids are different, just use your best judgement for your child and let everyone elses story be a guideline reference.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:24 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I'm struggling with this right now with my daughter... the thing I'm learning is that kids are SOOO different in this respect. The first poster's suggestion -- that you go straight to underwear and after an accident or two the child will get it -- will not work for my daughter because she sleeps right through the accident. She's such a heavy sleeper that she'd probably sleep covered in pee until morning (we haven't let her do this, of course...). She'd doing it fully in her sleep. Right now we're trying waking her up periodically and putting her on the potty (right before we go to bed and at 3am) but I think we're about ready to stop doing this and put her back in a diaper at night. I think some kids just aren't ready. It's been hard for me to come to this conclusion, though, because I do believe that almost all kids can be day trained by going straight to undies well before lots of parents try it these days. Good luck.
    Anonymous