If you do an awesome decoration for christmas in your yard that people get out of their vehicle to walk thru because it is so huge and you give out hot chocolate and coffee, is it ok to put out a :donation: can to help with the extra expenses for this display that we have always gotten so many comments and requests.......people are already looking for it today and we haven't began putting it up yet.

For the past 6 year we have decorated big time for Christmas, and the decoration have grown in prices and sizes. We have 2 acres that we completely decorate and invite people to get out and check out our decorations. We have never asked for donations, but we have been to serval displays where donations were requested. I don't want people to feel that they have to donate in order to enjoy the display but a donation would be nice to help with the extra light expenses and maintenance of the lights and decorations. What do I do? Donation bucket or no Donation bucket?

tazgirl3136

Asked by tazgirl3136 at 12:14 AM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Holidays

• There is a place close to where I live that charges like $2-$4 a car to drive thru on theirs. I dont see why you couldnt. I guess it just depends on the City or County regulations in your area...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I think it would be tacky.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• thats crazy, no way! its your decision to put up the decor. if its too expensive then dont do it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I think as long as you don't bother ppl, shove it down their throats... then a donation can would be fine, just set it up on the edge of the end of your display or close to where you stand outside to keep an eye on it... if ppl really enjoy, I'm sure they would donate if they can afford it to keep it going every year!

We had one in our area that had a driveway that had an entrance and exit, they made it where you were able to drive through, it was a big hit for years until they died...

Merry Christmas!
    Christian-Mom79

Answer by Christian-Mom79 at 12:32 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• If I went to your place and you have a donation box discreetly placed somewhere I would gladly donate to the cause. you are not forcing people or charging admission. I would donate leave it as an option if they want to thats fine if not that is okay as well. I would have no problem with it at all.
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 8:46 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• One of the houses around here has a donation box and I see nothing wrong with it. We all enjoy it so why not pitch in a few dollars to keep it going. Charging admission (you can't get in unless you pay) I think would be a little different. But I don't see anything wrong with a donation box.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 12:10 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• donation bucket. if they want to give, they can. not many people do it anymore and so it's nice to see you putting up something everyone appreciates!!!
    john2007

Answer by john2007 at 12:41 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• TACKY! If you can't afford it just don't do it.
    Anonymous

• I see nothing wrong with a donation box
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 2:38 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• absolutely NOT tacky! You're not charging people, you're letting them give a donation if they want to. If people are that in love with your decorations, they'll have no problem dropping in some change. I say go for it. :o)
    UCMamaMandy

Answer by UCMamaMandy at 3:12 PM on Nov. 29, 2009