How do I make my cake mix moist?

I am making home made devil food cupcakes, and I have one batch of cupcakes out and they are good, they just taste a little dry. Anyone have any ideas of what I can add to the batter to make the next batches a little more moist? Thanks!!

jm14879

Asked by jm14879 at 12:15 AM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Use applesauce instead of oil....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I use butter flavored Crisco instead of oil (same amount) & I usually cut the baking time by a few minutes. It continues to bake a bit after you take it out so sometimes it ends up getting overdone which causes it to be dry.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 12:18 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• try a pack of pudding mix in with the cake batter!
    babygirl8302006

Answer by babygirl8302006 at 12:20 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I've used a cup of sour cream.....yummy....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Applesauce in place of the oil (in equal amounts) it adds loads of moisture, doesn't change the flavor, and takes away HUNDREDS of calories and lots of fat. I always get compliments when I bake a cake with applesauce instead of oil.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:30 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Sour cream substituted for the vegetable oil in the recipe adds the most moistness to the cakes I decorate. Applesauce is a close second.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:52 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Pudding mix seams to help
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:48 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• shredded zucchini
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:23 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• If you use the recipe on the side of Hershey's cocoa you will have the most moist cakes/cupcakes I've ever eaten. They add boiling hot water to the batter (go figure) just before pouring it into the pans. I don't even use frosting anymore, that is how moist it is. I just sprinkle with powdered sugar to look pretty.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:41 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Add an extra egg. Use a cup of sour cream instead of a cup of water (if it calls for 1 1/4 cups water, use 1 cup sour cream and 1/4 cup water). Or don't alter the batter at all, but make a simple syrup (flavored or plain) and brush that on the tops when they're partially cooled. Or make a mousse and fill them. Yum.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on Nov. 30, 2009