Queston about BF.

I am currently 20 weeks pregnant and I really want to breast fed this time. With my last two children I didn't by choice. I was wondering though If it was possible to pump exclusively?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ur choice sometimes they dont latch on easily or properly, doesnt mean its ur fault either but also sometimes it is easier for the mother to pump and have the baby have a bottle instead of the breast just make sure ur eating foods to gain what u have to have for the baby, tuna, carrots things like that ask WIC about it but Im sure u can choose how to breast feed it doesnt mean u have to give them the breast, but u can use ur milk in bottles! besides it lets daddy give the babe milk too!
    babygirl8302006

Answer by babygirl8302006 at 12:29 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• You can probably do it but it's going to be a lot of work and take up a lot of time. Is there a reason you can't breastfeed the regular way? It would be a lot easier then pumping exclusively.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 12:37 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• It's perfectly fine to pump exclusively. Contact your local WIC or LLL to get info on pumping (they can also help provide the pump if you need it). I will warn you though, some women don't take to pumps well (like me for example) so just know that if it doesn't seem to work out that you aren't a failure & you did the best you could. Good luck mama!
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 12:38 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• No health reason, I just want my baby to have my breast milk because I know that it's better than formula but I don't want to breast fed, I think it would be a bit awkward to have a child on my breast. No offence to anyone just a personal choice.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• My sil did for 7 months so it is possible. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:19 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• You can pump exclusively if that is what you prefer. Breast Milk is best for your baby and I admire your choice. Obviously you want what is best for your baby. If you qualify for WIC I agree with everyone else they are your best resource. If not you can try your local University Extension office and ask for the Nutrition advisor. I am not sure what state you are in. La Leche is also a great resourse.
    NuttyMommyof2

Answer by NuttyMommyof2 at 1:28 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Exclusive pumping is HARD work for most moms and just plain impossible for some. It works well for a small number, but many more will either give up because it's just too much work (basically double the work), or they won't be able to maintain a supply with the pump and just dry up.

And while it's definitely better than formula, it's still not quite the same as nursing directly. You lose the self-regulation benefits, many of the anti-bodies and some of the nutrition from the milk (any food left sitting for any amount of time will start to loose nutrients). Babies saliva on the breast actually tells moms body exactly what kind of milk to make... you body will also make milk specific to the time of day to help baby be alert, or sleepy. You also loose the "lazy" benefits of nursing... these benefits just help mom to heal, get enough rest and make things as easy as possible... cont...
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:46 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Nursing becomes REALLY easy once you get through the beginning and by exclusively pumping, you're cheating yourself out of that. Nursing is also more than just food... it's a comfort tool. You loose that by EPing as well.

Try giving yourself 6 weeks. Commit yourself to nursing directly for 6 weeks and then re-evaluate how you feel about it. You can't really know what it will be or feel like until you experience it and so by giving it a good go, you can get a better idea and make the best decision possible. You will also have established your supply by around 6 weeks and so keeping up with babies demand won't be quite as hard.

Anyway, I wish you the best... just some things to consider when making this decision.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:56 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• It's possible but I would think that would be harder. I mean at that point you are pumping, thawing, washing bottles... the whole nine yards. But if pump and bottle is what you want to do then I would say you for sure will need an excellent pump! Like a hospital grade double for best results. Keep in mind to that some women pump better than others, that for the first few days you will get next to nothing because of the colostrum so don't give up there and that there may some a point where you will have to switch or supplement with formula. I also would encourage you to at least try feeding from the breast. I though I would HATE it. I am not a 'boob' person so the thought of something putting it's mouth on my breast was a huge turn off for me. I tried it and LOVED every minute of it. It is of course up to you but I do hope you at least try it once.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:50 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• It can be very difficult to keep up with demand by excusively pumping. It is also a big pain! It is so easy to breastfeed anywhere!

Answer by rkoloms at 12:48 PM on Nov. 29, 2009