How can I get my daughter to go to sleep at night?

Over the past several weeks, I've been having problems getting my daughter to go to bed, both at her afternoon nap and at bedtime. She's 2 1/2. After I lay her down, she'll come back out after about 5-10 minutes and say she has to go potty, or that she needs to get rid of or get a different toy to sleep with. One of her most frequent excuses is, "I'm sad." I ask her what's making her sad, and what cn I do to help and she just looks at me. Usually during daylight hours when she says she's sad, she comes up with a legitimate reason, like "my toy broke", or "I can't have what I want." Sometimes she will simply walk out and wait for me to lay her back down and 5-10 minutes later she's up again. Tonight was an hour and a half to get her to bed. Some nights it's once or twice and sometimes it take over an hour to get her to bed. I'm at my wits end. Any ideas on how I can get her to stay in her bed at bedtime? We do have a routine.

Doebbertmommy

Asked by Doebbertmommy at 12:32 AM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Bedtime routine basically consists of putting on her jammies, going potty, brushing her teeth, prayer, a song, hugs and kisses before bed and finally lights out.
    Doebbertmommy

Answer by Doebbertmommy at 12:34 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I usually lay down with mine in my bed and after about 10- 20 mins they are asleep I move them to their beds, understand they are way more comfortable being with things that smell like u and daddy lol they will fall asleep easier, my daughter had a fit tonight, and i just talk to ther sing little songs, ask her what she dreams about lol (random words like flowers, sun, moon, stars, clods, trees, blankies, pacifiers) lol things she likes it makes them settle down, my son likes if i sing the song "At Last" by ettat james to him thats his favorite song!
    babygirl8302006

Answer by babygirl8302006 at 12:45 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• When our older two went through this stage, we put them side by side in the hallway with their pillows, blankets or sleeping bags, blankies, stuffed animals, etc. and left our bedroom door open. Every couple of nights, we would move them closer to their rooms. In about a week a week and a half, they were OK with sleeping in their own beds in their own rooms. Hope this helps some and GL!
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 12:49 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Seems like she needs to have a set routine each night.
    Lavander

Answer by Lavander at 12:52 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• When my girls were little ( now 18 & 20yrs old) I would read to them in their bed until they fall asleep.

Yolie56

Answer by Yolie56 at 2:46 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I hear that a glass of warm milk a little before bed time help the little one relax and sleep better. followed by one story .only but if you have to rerad more it should be no more than two stories. then say good night give kiss and hugs, you can even leave her a little night light on. so its not completely dark in her room for her. I tried all that with my my teens at that age and it all worked. "good luck".
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 10:51 AM on Nov. 29, 2009