Have you ever had a baby that didn't want to sleep?

My baby is sometimes hard to get to sleep, and when he does sleep, he ALWAYS wakes up half an hour later. I don't think he's getting enough deep sleep, and he's so grumpy. I'm so frustrated, but nothing i do works. I've done the 5 S's, cry-it-out, rocking, swing, bouncer, changing positions, white noise, controlled crying, walking.... He's not colicky, because most of the time he gets happy as long as he's held or entertained. He just won't sleep. He's 10 weeks old. Any tricks I haven't tried yet???????

Adelicious

Asked by Adelicious at 1:22 AM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, My DD was not a sleeper. Honestly we did kind of a modified CIO with her (at 4 months). WE had her CIO one nap a day until she started sleeping on her own for that nap then we added another. Night was the last obstacle. I continued to nurse her to sleep at night until she was 7 months old when she dropped that feeding herself. There are A LOT of sleep methods out there. I suggest that you read up on several and take what you like from all of them to find out what suites your baby's needs. Don't give up on any method for at least 3 weeks. It can take that long for it to start to 'work' for some babies. AS another poster said repetition and routine are very comforting to babies. There is no right or wrong method you just need to find one that works and stick with it. Also I don't know how old your baby is but a baby should (IMO) be demand fed for the first month.I would not try any sleep method until at least 4 months
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:44 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Yes, I had one like that too, but she was colicky as well. If you can just lay him in the crib and make sure he isn't wet, hungry or hurting, he can lay there as long as he wants with his eyes open... it will not hurt him in any way. You can also do that if he is fussing, because you know there is nothing he wants or needs. Just quietly shut the door, part way, and turn up the TV or something and go about your time. They don't need your attention 24/7...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:36 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Co-sleeping and baby-wearing? My first was just like that and those were the only things that worked. He HAD to be nursed to sleep and if I wanted to lay him down he had to be out-out... then he'd wake 20-30 minutes later. We co-slept, but I hadn't discovered babywearing yet... I'm sure it would have helped greatly!

LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:39 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• My first question is how old is he? If he is under 4 months waking every 2 hours is normal and healthy. His brain needs this for development.
    it also sounds like you may be doing too much to get him to sleep. Babies need repetition to soothe them. Just use one stratgy and continue with it. Nursing usually always works. But if you are weaning (he may not be ready) try rocking in a dimmly lit room. sorry there is no easy answer.
    NuttyMommyof2

Answer by NuttyMommyof2 at 1:53 AM on Nov. 29, 2009