When a kitten licks your face is it affection?

My cat licks my face at random times and sometimes i think it's to show affection. But idk. Do they do it because my face might be salty or something? lol or is it kisses?
i had a cat as a child but he never licked my face.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:30 AM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Pets

• I think the cat is just tasting you lol. My kitten does that. He'll start all sweet licking me then he bites me.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 11:13 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• It's trying to get you to regurgitate for for it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Umm PP I think your thinking of birds, not cats.

My cat licks my face all the time, which usually means she's bathing me.
    She's violent about it too.
    LadyJayne27

Answer by LadyJayne27 at 1:44 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• our kittens do and normally it is affection, and a bath lol, most cats will bathe those they love. One of our 4 kittens likes to bathe my chihuahua, and several of the kittens like to lay on your head and bite and lick your hair. Its not a bad thing, if it bothers you then set a limit after a few licks say "okay enough" and move them to your lap, after a few times they get the hint that you only like a few licks.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:48 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Nope not thinking about birds, cats do it (lions, tigers, etc), dogs do it (wolves, foxes, etc.) Most if not all predatory animals do this to feed their young when they are still to young to go on the hunt. I know A LOT about animal behavior. Dogs lick your face for the same reason, even into adulthood because we have breed domesticated dogs to be perpetual wolf puppies, meaning they never out grow wolf puppy behavior.

Anon :32
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:58 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I have NEVER seen a mama cat puke for her babies.
    LadyJayne27

Answer by LadyJayne27 at 2:01 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• neither have i LadyJayne but anon is talking about wild cats. and i just looked it up and wild cats do, indeed regurgitate their food for their young. But that still doesn't make any sense if she licks my face even after i just fed her.
    -OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:06 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• over my lifetime I have helped raise over 20 litters of kittens, it was something my parents did and i continued to do with ferals and other homeless pets, I have NEVER seen a momma do this. My vets have always said it was affection, a sign that they see the caregiver as their "alpha", and a part of their family.

I did find through google that dogs do it to get the person or animal being licked to throw something back up, but i didnt see anything on domestic cats.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:13 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• It's more of an innate tendency that has become ritualized, so the domesticated animal continues to display the behaviour even though it may have lost it's true meaning in domestic cats now. I'm sure under the right circumstances a mother can would do this for her young but when you are raising them the mother can nurse them and then people put them on wet kitten food or other things that they can chew. The mother doesn't have to hunt to feed them so she doesn't need to regurgitate for for them. The domestic cat feels the urge to do this whether or not they

Your vet told you that either because A. he just told you what you want to hear. or B. You're vet doesn't know what they are talking about, which unfortunately is VERY common in vets.

Anon :32/:58
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:51 AM on Nov. 29, 2009