Asking for a friend....

my friend's daughter was born in the 50 percentile. now, at 4 months, she is in less then 5 percentile. the doctor seems concerned but didn't really say much. just that she had to wait 2 weeks to see if she gaines weight or not. so her question is, if this has happened to you or someone you know, what was the outcome? and did you have to give the baby anything extra (high cal. formula, change your own diet if you were BF...?)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:50 AM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ps- not sure if this is any help but she was 7lbs 11oz at birth and now she's 10lbs 12 oz and she was a full term baby and she is breast fed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:31 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• my son was "under weight" but in all honestly he was healthy, breathing, smart and reaching milestones so his weight was never an issue for us.....the doctor wanted him to drink pedia sure three times a day AND put extra olive oil on his food along with feeding him fatty foods as well as breast. I kept him breastfeeding and added the olive oil to his foods and he was still "under weight" but at this point I said screw the doctors because I thought just because he wasn't "BIG" like te rest of societies kids doesnt mean he is unhealthy or lacking anything. Make sure baby gets all the goods; breastmilk (makes sure mommy eats good too!) give baby lots of iron rich foods, vitamin rich, etc.....as long as baby is reaching milestones and is growing and health is good you shouldnt be concerned. :)
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 4:37 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I'm not sure if this might be a factor but she started working out like crazy about a month or so ago and she does not eat any fats...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:45 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• There could be a number of factors into why her DD has gone down in the percentiles. Is she or her DH small, or were they small when they were babies. My son was born at 6lbs 15.8 oz. At 6 months old and with being EBF he was 13.5 lbs..I switched him from breastmilk to formula and put him on solids..in three months he only gained one pound. At his 1 yr checkup he was just over 17 lbs. He has reached all his milestones fine. Genetics is a HUGE factor in why he is small and why he has dropped in percentile. I was the same way as a baby and so was my DH. The doctors ALWAYS told my mom that something was wrong with me, but she knew better and just did what she knew was best.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:36 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• That was my daughter. She want form the 90% to the 3%. she is almost 2 now and still in the 4%. She is just small. the doctors were concerned at 6 months so they had me start concentrating the supplemental formula she got after each nursing (because I was pumping at work I could not keep my supply up to par by that point) she was kept on formula until 18 months. she is now on whole milk and pediasure. The doctors did not 'flip out' because though she was small she was growing and developing. they will continue to monitor growth very closely but if the baby is growing and developing then they are considered to be thriving. Please tell your friend not to panic. This can be very normal for a child to be just small.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:56 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• First - no one is going to call child services on your friend - hate when people say stuff like that when there is no merit to it! If the mom is feeding her child and taking care of her - that is not an issue. Second - both of my boys could not gain weight when I breast fed - it killed me! My doctor and my boys doctor kept telling me it was ok and that using formula is ok - especially when they were not growing. I did not produce much milk for some reason - 20 minutes of pumping would produce less than 2 ounces! so I tried supplementing with formula and their wieght shot right up! By 2 months with my first and 3 months with my second, I went to only formula. It killed me that I couldn't breast feed - but it was best for them to get the nutrition they needed. Now they are healthy and energetic 9 and 6 year olds!
    Abrickl

Answer by Abrickl at 9:01 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• If the child is not losing weight, and is meeting milestones, and your friend is changing 6-8 diapers a day, I wouldn't be concerned, at least not yet. EBF babies tend to slow down on the growth after a few mos. She could try block nursing (nursing from the same breast for several feedings before switching sides) to ensure that baby gets the hindmilk, but I'm not even sure that is necessary at this point. Bottom line, if this were my child, I would not be concerned yet, as long as like I said, baby is meeting milestones, you're changing 6-8 diapes, and there's no LOSS of weight.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:21 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• MY SON IS IN THE 18% PERCENTILE. HE IS VERY TALL AND THIN. HE WAS 6LBS WHEN HE WAS BORN AND AT 10 MONTHS IS ONLY 18. HE EATS CONSTANTLY, ANYTHING AND EVERYTHIN. HE IS NOT STARVED. EVERY BABY IS DIFFERENT. JUST KEEP DOING YOUR BEST. MAKE SURE SHE GETS HER VITAMINS. AND TRY GIVING HER MORE CARBS. BREADS, MASHED POTATOES, MUFFINS, BUT ALSO KEEP THE NUTRITION UP.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 11:41 AM on Nov. 29, 2009