When do you add the stuffing to the turkey?

I had always thought that it wasn't safe to fill the turkey cavity with stuffing until after the bird was done cooking but now I'm reading a few recipes which say its ok to do this or to add things like apples, onions, and celery before cooking. So which is it? Is it ok to stuff a raw turkey and then cook it with the stuffing or vegetable mix, or is it safer to wait until the bird is fully cooked before doing this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:25 AM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I agree with you. I opt to cook to stuffing seperate from the turkey and add it at the end.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 4:37 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• We don't do stuffing, we call it dressing. It cooks in a pan separate from the turkey in the oven. I know that if you stuff a turkey you have to cook it for longer because the stuffing has to reach like 160 degrees or something as well as the meat reaching the correct temp. I don't want the hassel of it, plus we love how the cornbread dressing tastes and it wont stuff into a turkey.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:29 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• we put it in the turkey jsut before roasting.
    NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Answer by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 12:14 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Never! Eww!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Nov. 30, 2009