I have a 3 year old that wont take any kind of medicine. she has an ear infection and needs to take amoxal and refuses. does anyone know if they will give a child a shot for that

i hav already tried mising it with drinks, forceing it, bribery, threats. everything. she just wont take any medicine.

Cherylr

Asked by Cherylr at 7:40 AM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Health

• yes, the shot is called "bicillin" (sp?) - it's basically the same as amoxicillin and they give it to my son every time he needs meds - he has autism and won't take liquids and can't swallow pills

Answer by missanc at 7:47 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• thank you I will check with my dauthers doctor
    Cherylr

Answer by Cherylr at 7:51 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• What about prescription ear drops? I would place a few drops in my children's affected ear when they were asleep. BY the time they rolled over or woke up, the medicine had a chance to work.

For what it's worth, both of my sons have autism, so I know all too well about struggling to get medicine in them when they are sick! Ask your doctor if you can mix this particular medicine with juice--orange juice is the easiest to hide liquid medicine in! If the pill is in tablet form, grinding it up with a mortar and pestle into a fine powder and blending it with apple sauce is a little trick I learned along the way! :o)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:58 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Medicine dropper and squirt it in the side of her mouth, just like you do a baby. She'll fight and fight, but you just tell her that if she would just drink it, we wouldn't have to do all this.

Also, check into chewable pills. They gave them to my oldest one time....

You should never mix medicine in with food or drink because then you have a lesser chance of them getting it all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I used to have to pin my dd, plug her nose, squirt the meds in & hold her mouth closed for her to swallow it. Sometimes she spit it back at me. But I continued to do it because I love her & it was necessary.
    Anonymous

• I just wanted to thank all the moms that have given me their advice. I did sucessfully hide it in some rootbeer. I don't normally like to give her soda but as a treat every now and then and so I guess it was like a treat for her and she will get this treat twice a day for the next 10 days although I don't have 10 days worth anymore because of the wasted medicine so I will need to get more from her doctor.

I know one of you said that I shouldn't mix the meds but according to the medical webssites they said that I could mix it with the drinks it just needed to be drank quickly.

Thanks again to all of you.
    Cherylr

Answer by Cherylr at 10:22 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I would like to add, after the previous answers, that you can also try the transfer factors. They are tiny molecules that will boost the immune system up to 437%, and also come chewable, with a great flavor. They are naturals and no chemicals in it. contact me for more information.
    adita1152

Answer by adita1152 at 3:29 PM on Dec. 2, 2009