Starting ceral

I am starting my dd on ceral, and she keeps gaging when I put it in her mouth. I only give her a little bit at a time, barely the tip of the spoon, and she eats it pretty well except for the 1st gag. what can i do to make her like it more?

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 7:48 AM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She might just be gagging because there's something other than liquid going into her mouth. She just needs time to get used to the texture and thickness of it.

Keep the spoonfuls teeny, like you are, and just keep at it.
    If she eats fine after the first gag then it's not that she's not liking it, it's just new for her. :)
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 8:16 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Sounds like she's not ready. Stop, and then try again in a few weeks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:21 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Your baby is 3 months old - that is far too young to be starting solids.

Only breast milk or formula until 6 months.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 8:23 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• my doc told me to start her on ceral because she was eating way to much. and I started my 1st dd on ceral when she was the same age and she couldnt be healthier! Thank you anyways ladysavage
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:43 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• yup, like PP said .... just use tiny spoonsfuls and keep at it. It does take them time to adjust to the new texture. She should get it in no time. :) GL. I also started mine young, it won't hurt them as long as you know they can only eat a tiny bit. :)
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 8:55 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• If your daughter is really 3 months old then you aren't doing her any favors. You are putting her at risk by starting solids too early.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Too young.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• You may think she's ready, but what she's doing is a sign that she isn't. What worked for one child may not work for another child. You may want to reconsider.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:17 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Wait until she is at least six months old.

There is great information here: www.superbabyfood.com and here: www.babyledweaning.com

Answer by rkoloms at 12:07 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• She's gagging because its an inborn reflex. Babies are designed to push ANYTHING solid out of the mouth because they are designed to suck liquid from a nipple. Their gut at that age is also immature and designed to process milk not solids.

She gags to prevent choking. She's too young.
    Wait until the tongue thrust and gag reflex is outgrown which is usually about the time they can sit up really well which is around six months old.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:01 PM on Nov. 29, 2009