Dogs In Apartments

Our lease ends in February. We are currently in a small townhouse(900 sq ft) with a SMALL backyard(200-300 sq ft maybe). We are considering moving to an apartment 1,300 sq ft, but with no yard(well, a tiny screened porch). We have a dog, a 1 year old mutt, (40 pounds, a little longer/taller than a beagle). Do you think it is ok/fair to have her in an apartment, of course walking her several times a day? We are also considering renting a house instead....The dog accomadatings are the deciding factor.

ycatstouch

Asked by ycatstouch at 8:05 AM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Pets

• It really depends on the dog. I had a golden retriever when i lived in an apartment and she was great. I honestly think bigger dogs do better in apartments then little dogs because they are not always as energetic as the smaller dogs. Zippy and i went on many walks and even played at the tennis courts when no one was around and threw a ball for her. I will say that i liked renting a house better especially at that point in my goldens life because she got to the point that she could not go on long walks because of one of her legs so having that fenced yard was great for us although Zippy was trained off leash but the fence allowed me to let her out and not have to watch her closely once my daughter came.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:28 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• It depends on the dog. We have a 7.5lb dog that it wouldn't be a problem for (but nothing is, he's such a peanut), but our best friends in Chicago have a 3rd floor appt with a 40lb dog. It works out fine for them, but they also don't have any kids and can just take the dog outside no problem (for me, the dog would end up pad trained because I'm not bundling my kids up to go outside every 3 hours- and I hate the cold).
    Having a dog in an apartment is a bigger time commitment (in my opinion) than a dog who has a yard. (That said,my dog LOVES when we go to Chicago and he gets 4ish walks a day.)
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 9:28 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I lived in an apartment with two dogs. It was fine for them. We went on a long walk everyday and short walks many times a day to go to the bathroom. The only thing I did not like was potty training them when they were puppies and having to go outside 2-3 times a night down two flights of stairs...a backyard would have been easier. But once they were housebroken-it was not a big deal at all.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 8:40 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• My sister has a beagle pit bull mix about 40-45 lbs and thy have an apartment. A house would be more convention, taking a dog out every time then need to go can be a pain, much easier to just open the back to and let them go. If you can get a house I would do that. If not then having one medium size dog in an apartment wouldn't be so bad.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 12:25 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Well, I have an about 60lb. Pit (and are considering a puppy) and we live in an apartment (about 1000 sq ft?), but we also have a good sized completely fenced backyard. If we ever moved, I would definitely rent a house. No question. It's sooo much easier having a backyard.
    My final opinion: If you can afford to rent a house, I would do it (for the dog as well as no drama w/ neighbors). Otherwise the dog will adjust to an apartment, as long as it is walked often enough
    lilmama2be

Answer by lilmama2be at 11:54 PM on Dec. 6, 2009