Animal Sacrifice in modern times. Should it be allowed?

There has been considerable friction between Santerians and groups promoting the care and treatment of animals. The source of the conflict is the animal sacrifices which form an integral part of some Santerian rituals. Chickens and other small animals are ritually sacrificed, often at times of serious sickness or misfortune, and at times of initiation of new members.

If the animals are killed in a humane way and most eaten later, should the sacrifices be allowed and cited as religious freedom?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 8:39 AM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes! Without doubt it should be allowed. Sport hunting in permitted, where people go out and kill animals for fun. At least with religious animal sacrifice the animals die for a reason, and like you stated they are generally eaten afterward... The Law of the land should NEVER infringe on legit Religious ceremony unless it puts PEOPLE in direct danger or includes some kind of animal torture or inhumane treatments. With Santeria those animals are killed quickly and humanely...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:11 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• well, this is a whole new bag of chips, op...sort of. on one hand, you have animal-rights activists poopooing the killing of any animal for any reason; then you have hunters who kill for sport and/or food....what is 'humane'? each group, pro or con, will have varying definitions of the word, and not likely to agree. and a third hand (haha..just thought of an old joke, in appropriate, but funny), you have politicos concerned with the constitution.
    if asking my opinion, i think killing animals for sport/religious ceremonies should be allowed..IF the act is humane (quick, no suffering), and the 'mess' is dealt with(cleaned up, no carcass left) rather than left to be found by other humans/animals. now, of course..would licensing be necessary for the religious 'cleansing'? (as it is for sporting..what's fair is fair, right?)
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:50 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• they still do it in africa so why not, however they're far from "modernized"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Personally the killing of animals for whatever purpose bothers me. For this reason I'm vegetarian. However, since I doubt we will stop slaughtering animals as a food source anytime soon, I really don't see the difference between this and ritual animal sacrifice. Dead is dead for the animal, the motivation behind it really doesnt' make a difference.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:59 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I agree with the first poster. While this isn't something that I would do, if you think about it, really, how is it any different than, say, slaughtering a cow or a pig or a chicken so we can eat it?

Now, I do NOT think that people should be allowed to just run around willy nilly doing this. You need to get a license to hunt, churches have to register for their tax exempt status, etc. I think you should have to register to do this, and it needs to be done in a humane (meaning quick and as painless as possible) way. Also, as the pp said, the remains should be dealt with, and, hopefully, as you (the op) said, used for food afterward.

But, like I said, while I guess it's really no different than slaughtering an animal for food, this really isn't something I would be into, and I can see how there would be a lot of people with a problem with it.

That would be a tough decision!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:02 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• No, that would be bad. I don't beliieve anything or anyone or any living thing should be a "sacrifice". That is characteristic of ignorant, savage people.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 9:57 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• no need because Jesus was our Sacrifice. He washes our sins clean....
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:07 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• If the animals are killed in a humane way and most eaten later, should the sacrifices be allowed and cited as religious freedom?

Yes. 

The only "animal sacrifice" my Circle and I take part in usually involves either the crock pot or the grill and the actual slaughtering is done by the good folks at Omaha Steaks! 

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:44 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I don't agree with this, I don't like it but I do agree with America. and it should be allowed.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 12:25 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• If it is apart of their religion, then it should be allowed. Especially if it's done in a humane way. I love animal rights, but the sacrifices are not being done out of down right cruelty. I'm with the Santerians on this one.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:28 PM on Nov. 29, 2009