Hates tummy time!

My 5 month old son hates, hates, hates tummy time! He's not even close to the rolling over stage. He would much rather lay on his back or jump in his exersaucer instead of being on his belly. I know how important tummy time is, so what are your suggestions of tummy time games or ways to keep him entertained?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• get an activity gym, my ds loves his but i put him on his back and he tries to roll to his belly (he's 3 months)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• You could always put him on his tummy and get a lazer pointer and play with him that way. They make them with lots of different heads so they can do different shapes.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 9:39 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• try to lie down with him. You lay on your belly facing him, head to head like. He should like to look at you. Make faces, sing, make silly noises and get him to laugh. Only do it for a few minutes at a time and pretty soon he should like it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• This is a huge problem with babies sleeping on their backs. They choke on their spit up and don't develop the core strength necessary for rolling, sitting, crawling, etc...not to mention the flat spots on their heads. It is extremely important for them to have "tummy time".

Put him on his stomach and lay down in front of him on yours. Make him stay a little longer each day with toys in front of him.

Lay down on your back and lay him on your tummy...him on his stomach so he's looking at your face.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• My daughter hated tummy time as well. She had torticollis which is a neck condition and HAD to do tummy time, no if and or buts about it. She could only stand tummy time for about 30 seconds at time. 30 seconds is better than nothing. When she would have a fit on her tummy I would roll her on her back for a few mins than back on the tummy. Eventually she started standing more and more time. She had to go to a sitter for a month (it was my best friends mom) and one day I came to pick her up and she told me that she laid there not crying for 2 mins!!! It will get better it just takes time and work. Good luck! Now she likes being on her tummy and crawls and army crawls everywhere.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:28 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• try laying on the florr with him with ur head down a bit so he can see u, put a toy in front of him and sya get the toy big boy.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 11:40 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• You don't NEED to give tummy time to your child if they have good neck and head control. My son never got tummy time, because he would show he had good neck head control when laying on my chest. He didn't like it either and the doctor didn't enforce it since he showed no signs of trouble holding his head up. He'll roll over when he's good and ready to, and he can do that by laying on his back. Infact most babies roll over from back to front before they go front to back. If he doesn't like it then he doesn't like it, you're not going to convience him otherwise.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:25 PM on Nov. 29, 2009