Nighttime incontinence and BMs

My husband and I have temporary custody of my DH's 9 year old sister. She has always had a problem with nighttime wetting. But in the past month that she's been here she also has BM's at night! I'm grateful for the Good Night's pants! But my question is, is this normal? Her father (who had custody) never told us about any of these things, he never even told us about the bed wetting, we had to "learn" for ourselves!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Nov. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• No, it is not normal at all.....talk to the pediatrician and probably a counselor. I don't want to jump to any conclusions, but it does need to be mentioned that this is a sign of a child who has been sexually abused. I am sure there are other reasons this could happen but it is not normal and does need to be addressed. Is this child developmentally delayed at all? What is she like during the day? Talk to the doctor about it, and follow up with an evaluation by a psychologist or psychiatrist.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 11:10 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I would take her to the doctors. Does she only do it at night?
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 9:40 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• The BM's yes, the wetting does happen at times during the day. The ped has been less than helpful with the wetting, she said it was just something some kids do. Very frustrating. The BM's started a couple of weeks ago, we have an appointment with the doctor on the 9th for a well visit, it's been 2 years according to her peds records.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I don't think it's normal...especially the BM's.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 11:00 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Some kids do wet the bed at that age and it's not considered all that unusual. They usually grow out of it around 8-10.
    However, the night time BM's are unusual. It sounds as though your niece may be suffering from some kind of trauma, stress, etc. I would see a doctor and explain in detail her previous living situation and how she came to be with you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I'm assuming that there may have been some abuse & that's why you have custody? Other than moving in with you, has there been other chaos in her life? What you are describing is common with abuse &/or foster/adopted kids. When everything else in their life is out of control, bodily functions is something that they can control. If she is holding in BM all day, then when she is sleeping is when her body is most relaxed and releases the stool. If you are not already, get her into therapy. Encourage her to try & poop regularly. Let her take a book or video game into the bathroom to help her relax. You can also add Benefiber to her food or drinks to aid in passing stool.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 12:30 PM on Nov. 29, 2009