hubby has mentioned the sheltie breed, do you like this breed or know anything about them?

I was leaning more towards a designer breed, or a toy breed like shitzu or something like that..

ilovedogs1967

Asked by ilovedogs1967 at 9:45 AM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Pets

• I had a sheltie. We turned her back into t he breeder. She was a great dog don't get me wrong however she needed a ton of exercise and liked to herd the kids at the park. But my 3 yo son made her so nervous that she shook and peed everywhere. I would not recommend them to people with small kids.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:31 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• They are very active,they have a tendency to round up people(like we are sheep because that is what they are bred to do),barking issues.But other then that they are a sweet medium sized dog.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Most smaller dogs are highstrung - including shelties, and toys. There are a few small dogs you can get that are NOT generally high strung, if they are trained correctly. Schnauzers, giant dachsunds, and corgis are good breeds if you get them from puppies and train them to be "laid back". Shelties can be trained to be as well, but it is less common to be successful with them. However, you are an amazing person if you are EVER able to train a toy breed to not pee and shake.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 11:14 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I forgot to add - the sheltie down the street from my house is walked for two miles twice a day, and STILL barks and runs the fence non-stop. They need TONS of exercise.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 11:15 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• i reccomend basset hounds....i love mine they're not lazy but are very laid back and love to go for walks :)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:35 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I had a sheltie. He was a wonderful dog, He was so good at obedience and looked like Lassie, only smaller. He wasn't a barker and he was energetic, but he had a yard to play in and that was all he needed. He passed away at the age of 14 from old age, and until I got the dog I have now, he was the best dog I ever saw. I really don't think you can go wrong with a sheltie if you train them--they want to please you and they are smart. The one thing they do need is brushing to keep the long outer fur untangled.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 12:04 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• There is no such thing as a giant dachshund. There is a standard and a miniature.

The best way to find out which breed of dog would suit your family is to sit down, make a list of what kind of characteristics you like in a dog and then go get a book that has different types of dog breeds in it. The Royal Canin Dog Encyclopedia is a good choice. It has the rare breeds as well as the more common, it does not, however have many designer breeds in it. Look through the book and mark off the dogs that fit the characteristics you have chosen. Then, find breeders who deal with the dogs you have picked. Go and visit them, talk to them and see if you really do mesh with that type of dog. If you go the breeder way, make sure you choose wisely and NEVER, EVER, buy from a pet store.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 2:48 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• con't

A designer dog is really just a mutt. If you want a mutt, go to the local shelter. They have labradoodles, goldendoodles, puggles etc. They just don't call them that. The shelter workers will work to match a dog to your family's lifestyle as well.

A small or toy breed of dog is generally not a wise choice for a family with small children. They are nervous and can snap when they are afraid.

But, with any breed you choose, remember to train the dog, don't dump it outside on a chain and socialize it as well. If you take the time and effort to teach, train and care for your dog you will have a good family member. If you don't you will have a dog that is a menace.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 2:51 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I love shelties, but then i love the herding breeds. We are actually planning on getting one down the road. Shelties are generally gentle dogs and very even tempered but they are a herding breed and can be active and sometimes even need a job. They can be on the shy side sometimes so if you get one be sure to socialize it. Frankly any dog or breed should be socialized but some need it more then others. i would stay aways from the "designers dogs" personally unless you are planning on getting one from a shelter because all they are are mutts and i do not see the point in encouraging back yard breeders to breed mutts when they are already ruining the purebreds or spending 600 to 1500 for a mutt that you can find in a shelter for much less . I have known some awesome shih zus but they are one breed that can be nasty if they are not socialized.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 3:19 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I have a sheltie/welsh corgi mix.
    She is bright and very sweet. She is very active and requires a lot of excercise.
    We have a fenced back yard,otherwise I would not have my dogs at all (we have our little mix and three purebred pembrokes). Have you considered a Welsh Corgi? I am a little partial though;)
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 6:48 PM on Nov. 29, 2009