do u believe that the best way out of depression is to think about others who are worse off than you?

I just heard this from a Pastor that I am listening to on TV...he says that thinking of others is the best way to pull yourself out of depression. and that God will never show up to a pity party...lol...never thought of it that way.

ilovedogs1967

Asked by ilovedogs1967 at 9:47 AM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Just for Fun

• no,its about cognitive thinking
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• no- I don't believe that. I know my daughter gets worse when she is worried about others and their situations. It becomes way too much for her to handle...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:51 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I agree with anon. CLINICAL depression is far different than being in a "funk," because you've hit a rough patch. CLINICAL depression requires a change in your belief system, a change in lifestyle, a change of environment--which in itself requires a TON of soul searching and logistics and desire to WANT to change such things.

The getting out of a funky mood just requires putting things in perspective. I believe that's what the televangelist you were watching was referring to (and I'm sure he was urging you to make a donation to help those less fortunate so you would feel better!).
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:53 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Shit no. Not a snowball's chance in hell. I have major depression and anxiety, and I'm certain that I have a slew of other things that haven't been diagnosed yet. I think about people who are worse off than me alllllll the time. It actually makes me feel worse sometimes when I think about all the little kids that won't eat tonight, or all the parents that will lose their children to cancer this year. It really makes me feel like I have the world on my shoulders.

TRUE depression cannot be treated with just thinking happy thoughts. You need professional guidance or a rigid homeopathic plan. You need to learn how to concentrate on positive thinking instead of negative thinking. You need to actively change your thinking patterns, which is sooooo much easier than it sounds. Some people struggle with treating their depression their entire lives.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:06 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• No.. prayer, st. john's wort, & keeping yourself busy... thinking of less fortune is ok , but not enough.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:10 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Focusing on something other than your feelings is the way to beat a mild depression. Whether that is helping others, or something entirely different, that's up to you. But as PPs said, SEVERE depression is not beaten by thoughts alone. The cure may be different for people, but I'm fairly certain a chemical depression has never been completely eradicated by donating to charity.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 10:42 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• If you are in a severe clinical depression you would be in no position to think of others.....and certainly thinking of others in a worse state than you would actually be more depressing! Generally, though....when you are feeling down stepping out of yourself and thinking of others (in general---not necessarily people who are "worse off") is a good idea. The more engaged in life and things you care about, the happier you will be. But clinical depression is beyond that....and actual medical issue that should never be minimized and the depressed person should never be blamed.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 11:05 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I'm not sure how much a pastor knows about depression. I wouldn't think he needs to be giving advice about something so serious.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• no i think the person should look at the things they have and the people that love them. thinking of people who have it worse off dosent make u feel better.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 11:30 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• depends on the person, the depression, and the situation. Some people are depressed due to health issues, no amount of possitive thinking is going to change that. People who have hormonal or chemical imbalances in the body will not be able to "think" themselves out of depression.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 11:34 AM on Nov. 29, 2009