How do you discipline a 19 month old?

I hate smacking his hands but it seems to be the only thing that gets his attention. There is not much he's not allowed to do, but he is always pushing the TV, pulling things out of cabinets, and touching my mom's things. We live with her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• First of all it sounds like you need to baby proof the house (moms home or not). This is the age where you repeat yourself 1000 times a day then they get it that the TV is a no,no. It gets worse before it gets better so hold on tight and enjoy the ride :~)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• OP- I get the repeating but what do I do when he completely ignores me?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• well you can always say no. in a very stern but low voice every time he goes near something you dont want him to touch. after you tell him no and explain to him why. after your third no. he's still doing this . then just pick him up and take him to another room and entertain him doing something else. like playing with his toys, or reading him a story. things like that . you can even take him out back , and play outside a bit.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 10:41 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• He is young...it takes a lot of time for him to really understand the rules or have any motivation to follow them! Supervision and distraction.....and yes, baby-proofing the house!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 10:52 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Time outs and loss of privileges (toys). If started in the very beginning, he'd have it down pat by now.

You know what he gets in to, fix it. Baby proofing will help, but you really need to TODDLER PROOF. Believe me, there is a difference!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Distract him with another activity. Make sure you do firmly say, "No touch!" Then happily move his little body to another area and give him something else to do!  :)

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Don't be fooled by people who say that babies/toddlers don't understand "No" or time outs until they're three years old. That's not true and my son is proof of that. We've been giving him time outs and telling him "No" since he became mobile. He tests his bounderies/limits as any toddler does, but he knows when he's being punished and reacts when I tell him "No". Time outs are only effective when you're consistant with them. Only give him one warning and actually follow through with that warning if he disobeys. Let him sit in his crib or in a chair for a predetermined amount of time after explaining to him why he's in timeout. If he gets out of time out before the time is up, calmly and quietly put him back. Do that until he stays. You don't need to hit or spank your child for them to understand dicipline. There are other methods that are even more effective. Be consistant and follow through, he'll understand.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:18 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I have to say I totally disagree with Jazz, at 19 months you son may understand 'no' but he's going to forget that you said 'no' before you can blink. You absolutely mut toddler-proof. It sucks, but it's not forever. You should avoid using the word 'no' to much anyway, as after a while it begins to lose it's meaning. Try something like "oh the tv's not for you! come over here & play ____ with me" Then play with him, keep his attention on you for a while. It's better to try find a positive then to say no all the time, it bums kids out & isn't very effective. Good luck, he's getting close to 2, and 2 & 3 are the hardest years till you hit the teens.
    curlycupcake

Answer by curlycupcake at 11:28 PM on Nov. 29, 2009