3 yr old swollen eye/ Pink eye

My 3 yr old son has a swollen eye lid on the bottom and there is so gunky stuff in the corner someone told me it could be pink eye but his eye itself is not red just right under his eye. We have to go have Thanksgiving dinner with my fiancees family today and I dont know if I should take him or not

Christiansmom06

Asked by Christiansmom06 at 10:36 AM on Nov. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• It sounds like it could be pink eye.. not always does the entire eye turn red sometimes its the corner of the eye. At many drug stores and Walmart they carry Pink eye eye drops that work very well. Maybe you could try that. You could still take him to the dinner just make sure he isnt rubbing his eyes and touching other people so it wont spread... have him wash his hands often.
    AProsser

Answer by AProsser at 11:06 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• is he rubbing it? does it seem to itch? Those would be signs it is pinkeye/contagious.
    If the lid itself (lower/upper, doesn't matter) is swollen, it could be a stye.

Pinkeye: the white of the eye is glassy, milky or pinkish, with yellow or green discharge in the corner and it itches.
    Stye: some swelling, it hurts and the discharge is going to be clear or whitish instead of yellow or green.

can you call an on-call doc or take him to a minute clinic to get it checked?
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 11:07 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• When in doubt, don't.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Children'e eyes can get red from alergies, something that has gotten into it or an infection. In any case a childs eyes are more sensitvive to longer term damage if they don't get attention. If in doubt - don't hesitate to take a detour by a doctor or emergency room. Beign overly cautious is bettter than eeling guilty if it's something that could have been relieved right away.
    DolphinChrissy

Answer by DolphinChrissy at 12:26 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• go to walmart--they have an all natural treatment sold OTC called Simillisan for pink eye. It cleared up my DDs and my pink eye within 2 days, with no discharge after the first two treatments.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 12:33 PM on Nov. 29, 2009