Having the doctor break your water....

My friend had told me this story about how here doctor broke her water, and scratched her baby's head.... So, when the doctor wanted to break my water, I said no, out of fear he's scratch my baby's head. My water wasn't breaking, and I ended up letting him break it, and HE SCRATCHED MY DAUGHTER HEAD!!!!! She had a tiny cut with a little bit of blood on the top of her head. She was perfectly fine, but I am now nervous to have my water broken again. Any advice? Or, advice on how to get my water to break naturally with my second baby, which is due soon???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• my ob broke my water with both my kids and he didn't even touch their heads... gl next time
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:29 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• my dr broke my water with my second son and he had no scratch on his head etc. i dont know what advice to give you other than just expressing your concern to your doctor before they do it?
    82ndairbornewif

Answer by 82ndairbornewif at 11:26 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Dont sweat it. It was just a scratch. It didnt hurt your baby. Tell your doc your fear so they can help you more ok?
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 11:44 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• First of all, talk to your dr about your concerns. Second, do some more research on this, because you probably didn't need to have an amniotomy in the first place. The main reason why drs perform amniotomies is to speed up the birthing process, but there are risks associated with routine amniotomies and you need to determine if those risks are worth it. Contrary to popular belief, most women do not have their water break naturally until well into labor. The amniotic sac helps cushion the baby's head and your cervix during the majority of the labor. If it is broken before labor has progressed to the point where it breaks naturally, labor can be more painful and the risk of fetal distress and other complications increases, which can lead to even more complications and a cesarean delivery in what was a perfectly normal birth. Staying upright & walking during labor can help your water break naturally next time.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 12:05 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Here's a brief article about amniotomies which has a list of alternative things you can do to help your labor progess:
    http://pregnancy.about.com/od/laborbasics/a/noamniotomy.htm
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 12:09 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Your doctor obviously wasn't it doing it right if he scratched your baby's head. The bag of water is on the outside of the uterus, and if he's getting in there and scratching the baby's head then he's doing it wrong. You need to talk about your concerns with your doctor and let them know what you believe happened last time.

My water broke with my son before I went into labor. The doctor had to break it for me while I was in labor with my daughter. She didn't scratch the baby's head when she did it, because she did it properly.

Do squats, those naturally bring the baby down into position, which can lead to the water breaking or helping labor start. DO NOT over do it, only do about 5 at a time. Do not start doing these until you're 36-37wks pregnant, so that you're considered full term.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:11 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• PEH you shoulda seen my sons head when he came out. They used internal monitors that like....latch onto his head :( my poor lil dude
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 12:38 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Your water will break on its own IF it is going to break at all during labor. One that doesn't break is called the baby being born "in the caul" and its considered lucky -- I don't think it is lucky, but it is a special variation of perfectly normal.

There is absolutely no need to mess with it. Don't let anyone break it for you or tell you it needs to be done. Just let nature take its course and you won't have to worry about it.

I really don't understand doctor's obsession with sticking their fingers in the vagina. My water broke all on its own. The forewaters before delivery during active labor, and the hindwaters as she came out.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:01 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• My oldest son still has a scar you can see if he had no hair from when the Dr tried to break my water. But 8 years later with my last baby they wouldn't go near breaking my water. It finally broke by accident when a nurse checked me when I started feeling pressure like I was ready to push. Talk to your Dr about your concerns, is it the same Dr because not all of them feel the same way about breaking water.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 1:10 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• With all the trauma babies go through during the birth process, a scratch is not a big deal to them. They forget all about it and dont know any different.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 1:37 PM on Nov. 29, 2009