If MIL will be busy cooking will you still let her take care of your 18mos baby?

MIL usually helps me out on Tues for about 2 hrs so that I can work. Lately she's been busy with other obligations. Yesterday she said, oh can you bring him to my house so that I can cook.

Thing is my mother only attends to DS when she babysits, but MIL doesn't. She'll do things around our house. Supposedly this is when she can spend time with DS but I think she gets bored since she's always on the go.

What would you do, ask someone else (my mom) or let him stay with her?
BTW: our house is childproofed and he crawls

Vero0724

Asked by Vero0724 at 11:24 AM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• sure, why not. she won't let anything happen to him and it's only 2 hours. relax a bit.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:26 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• If MIL is so busy that you feel she doesn't pay enough attention to your son, you'd probably feel better just getting someone else to watch him.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:27 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• do you cook, vacuum, wash clothes, make beds, or tend to ANYTHING but the baby throughout your day?
    chill out...

as for being "Baby Proof"- i don't believe in it. obvious dangers removed, things should remain within reach, so that the child can learn not to touch them. if you're so uncomfortable, then find someone else... i still think that this is ridiculous though.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:32 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Dont believe in baby proofing....hahahahahaha.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• If she can stay attentive to him, keep an eye on him, and take care of his needs while she's doing other things then it's fine. If she cannot give your son her full attention while doing other things, then she shouldn't be watching your child. I agree with a PP. Keeping everything out of child's reach and locking things up doesn't teach them not to get into things. Obviously you don't leave cleaning products, sharp objects, etc within reach, but childproofing everything is ridiculous. My son knows at a year old what he can and cannot get into, because we have taught him "No" when he attempts to get into it. A child will not learn not to do something if he isn't ever told he can't get into something. He'll not learn what's his to play with and what's not.

You need to make the call as to whether your MIL is capable of taking care of a child and her chores.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:07 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• It's free babysitting, can you really be picky?
    Anonymous

• Do you really expect her to sit there and pay TOTAL attention to ONLY him? Do YOU? You don't do anything else when you're with him? No cooking, no cleaning, no laundry? Really?

Anonymous

• I kind of chuckled when I read the question. My mil is our babysitter and she does all sorts of things while watching the kids. Just like I do. She bakes, she cooks, she does laundry, all things that I do while with the kids. I don't expect her to put her life on hold while watching the kids, any more than my life goes on hold while the kids are around. I bet she managed to cook while your hubby was a baby too, and he must have survived. So in answer to your question, yes I would and I do let my mil watch my kids (she started when they were about 12 months, I had a year of mat leave) while she cooks.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 1:06 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Sounds like this is your first child... You're still in the mentality that watching a toddler can only mean sitting around and gushing over them. I was like this with my first... now that I have two, I realize how much kiddos can entertain themselves -- they have to, as long as you keep one eye on them.
    Anonymous

• It's hard to watch a toddler and cook at the same time. What is she cooking?

I get that people don't "believe" in babyproofing. However, I do not trust my toddler not to drink clorox if left alone with it. I do not trust my toddler not to behave like a toddler. In a new situation, she explores. So, if your baby hasn't been there a lot, I question her judgement in just letting him roam around an unchildproofed house. When I think childproofed, I don't expect gates, outlet covers, every cabinet latched. I think babyproofed is real dangers hidden, like no knives within reaching distance and no furniture that can tip over. Something that a child can seriously be injured by or killed wihtin a matter of a few unsupervised seconds. My cabinets are all open except the one with breakable china. My knives are in a locked cabinet. My cleaning supplies are locked up.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 3:18 PM on Nov. 29, 2009