Unemployment...is there any reason you WOULDN'T get it?

My husband is in bad shape with his job right now--they are treating him horrible, it is taking a toll on our kids and our marriage, and they have threatened that they might fire him after Christmas. Right now, he is on good enough terms with the right people that he can kindly ask for a layoff and just get out of it. I have a job, and he is waiting to hear on several. He doesn't want to stay unemployed AT ALL, just so that he has enough time to FIND another job (even if it's McDonald's or two crappy PT jobs) that being said...we are nervous for him to try to do it, in case there is any reason he couldn't get unemployment. Does anybody know a lot about the guidelines or requirements or how we could find out for our state?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Money & Work

• if you quit your job you can't get it

go to dir.yourstate.gov
    like dir.georgia.gov and it should work
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• It's better if they lay him off, and he doesn't QUIT or get FIRED due to poor performance. The latter two could mean he is denied unemployment. Besides, if he's due any paid vacation or sick time, that would also be given to him as part of his severance pay. If he is laid off due to not being needed/cut backs, he'll be able to collect unemployment AND if he gets a job or two earn as much as 1/3 of his unemployment pay in "extra" or "double dipping" income before they start deducting his unemployment pay. For example, if your husband was able to collect $300 per unemployment pay, he could earn up to an additional $100 per employment pay before cutting into his $300 pay.

I would ALWAYS stay employed as long as possible--even if the company is being obnoxious about it. In this economy it's better to be employed than not!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:33 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I have been applying for jobs in fast food, retail, cleaning ,and various other things and 10 months later-I am STILL jobless...so I would think long and hard about this. I agree-every job sucks anyhow and unemployment doesn't pay much...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:42 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• If he quits his job or is fired for cause (such as theft or violence) he will not be able to apply for unemployement compensation.

There are lots of great job hunting tips in the CafeMom Job Hunting Moms group: http://www.cafemom.com/group/jobhuntingmoms

Answer by rkoloms at 12:00 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Usually quitting or asking for a layoff pretty much says that you can't get it. You have to be laid off formally by the employer (without previous request) or fired from the employer. The unemployment is having a lot of trouble right now. They just passed a 20wk extension for it and not everyone got the full 20wks. They are running out of money due to the high amount of people on unemployment. Honestly, your husband is committing career suicide if he quits his job in this kind of economy. He should stick it out until he finds another job, because he won't qualify for unemployment if he quits his job. I understand his job is horrible, but quitting now will most definately leave you guys without a second income. That's not a smart idea to risk it now.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:02 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• go to your states employment department website, it will list the guidelines to be eligible but generally if you are fired or quit your not eligible. Right now leaving any job no matter how bad it is, is just a bad idea especially if your in a state with high unemployment.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:43 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Have him start looking now. Two years ago my husband was fired for not going to work on a day he was told he had off. A girl in the office didn't like him because he didn't kowtow to her every wish. I disputed him not getting unemployment for being fired for cause with the state but by the time they got back to me he was being hired on full time at a job he got through a temp agency. They paid him $5 per hour more and their health insurance was better.
    Anonymous

• There are dozens of loopholes they can use to get out of paying unemployment. The important thing is you can appeal it if they say no.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:10 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Actually you can quit a job and you can be fired from a job and still receive unemployment. I've done both and received it.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:30 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• admckenzie...what state? A "friend" of mine ( she is no longer my friend though) was a HORRIBLE employee, we used to work together and she was awful, but they refused to fire her and she refused to quit, but they knew that she hated it. Finally, to get rid of her, they offered to lay her off to get unemployment. This was when my son was 5 mos old and he is 20 months now...she STILL does not have a job and she was out drinking and blowing her unemployment because she lived with her parents. So I don't think his reasons for being on unemployment are awful, like that, but his job is already being threatened. He might be better off to bow out now and they might be happier with it.
    Anonymous