under weight please help

What did your doctor reccomend for an underweight baby? What special diet? My son is under weight but healthy. He eats anything and everything. He already does breads, potatoes, and carbs but what else is there to help him gain weight in a healthy way??

sassy_brizzy

Asked by sassy_brizzy at 11:56 AM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter is underweight too I would assume, her doctor never specifically said so but her weight is below the chart and her height is between 30% and 50%. For a while the doctor was having me feed her extra high-fat foods like avacados maybe yogurt, adding butter to things, stuff like that. Unfortunately I can't remember anything more specific. She ate really well, she loved to eat, and it never made any difference. She just had her 2 year old appointment and is at the same levels on the chart, she has been there since about 8 months old. Anyway her doctor decided it was genetic, she's staying on the same curve even if it's below the chart, so she (the doctor) doesn't say anything about it anymore, which I'm thankful for. So if it's genetic you may not be able to cause any extra weight gain, but if you want to try add extra fat to foods and feed (healthy) high fat foods as much as you can and see if it helps.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 2:38 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I wouldn't worry much about it if he's otherwise healthy and thriving.
    You could add healthy fats to his diet if you would like... like avocado
    Some kids are just small though, there isn't much you can do about it... I wouldn't worry
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:13 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Is he underweight or is he just on the low end of the chart? If he's just on the low end of the chart and healthy otherwise, then I would suggest you not worry about trying to get him to gain weight. Just make sure he has access to lots of healthy foods and he'll be fine. My oldest was always a lightweight (5% or less on the chart), but he had a hearty appetite and was very healthy, so neither I nor his doctor worried about it. He's now 12 yo and almost 6 feet tall. Still skinny as a rail, but still very healthy.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 12:22 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• My daughter is truly under weight she is in the 4% in weight and the 28% in height. When she was a baby her doctor had us concentrate the formula she was being supplemented with(she breast fed to). it was 1.5 scoops to 2 ounces of water. I would not do that with out first talking to your doctor. Other things you can do is make sure he is getting enough good fat. Whole milk yogurt and cheese, avocado, olive oil(very lightly on noodles or veggies). Make sure what you offer is balanced to though. Not to many carbs not to many proteins. Our ped also had my DD not switch to whole milk at 1 year but stay on formula until she was 18 months then she went to milk and pediasure. Since she is growing, slowly but growing and developing(meeting milestones) there is not a huge concern we just have to watch her weight.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:08 PM on Nov. 29, 2009