Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can I help my mom get a copy of her birth certificate?

She needs a copy of it to get her ID, She has never driven so she does not have her license. Vital statistics say that she needs her State Id to get a copy of it or have one of her parents get it for her. My grandmother is dead and my grandfather is living in a nursing home. he is 93, in a wheel chair, blind, and has dementia so he cannot obtain it for her. We live in New York State.

Answer Question

Asked by LadySaphira at 12:03 PM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Relationships

Level 12 (797 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • all she needs is to contact vital statistics in the state she was born & get a form to order it ( its online to) she only needs to know her moms first/ "maiden" last name & dads first/ last name, where/ when she was born, & maybe her social security number. thats how i got mine.

    Answer by maiahlynn at 12:10 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

  • Call the DMV or the court house in your district. Tell them the circumstances, they will help you. Does she have a social security card? That is an official form of identification, sometimes they need someone with them to prove who they are. Not sure on the logistics but I'd call and they can help you out.

    Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 12:11 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

  • contact the county where she was born

    Answer by rkoloms at 12:57 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

  • Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:49 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

  • Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

  • I only had to contact my state of birth's Vital Statistics office online and pay the fee. NY might be concerned with people stealing identities so they may have harsher rules on getting such information. I'd call Legal Aid and ask them what you can do if you can't prove her identity. There has to be alternative ways to prove she is who she is to get her B. Cert.

    Answer by admckenzie at 3:55 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

  • First, your Social Security card is NOT a legal form of identification and the DMV will not accept it. Talk to the vital statistics office, YOU may be able to obtain a birth certificate as her legal daughter.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:38 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

  • I just went threw this a few months ago!Have her go to the county she was born in and go to town hall and ask for a copy of it! I live in NY and only had to pay $10 for a copy of mine! They do ask for some type of ID like a social security card and maybe a passport or another kinds of form to even get a copy!

    Answer by MarineAngel831 at 8:28 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.