Fleas infest children's scalps? Without any earlier signs? or whatever?

I'm not sure how to even ask this. My kids are with their dad - supposed to be all weekend but he picked them up yesterday afternoon and will be dropping them off in just a couple hours. An hour ago my ex-husband calls me and says he's very disappointed (constanty talking to me like I'm a child myself) and tells me my kids scalps are filled with fleas and flea eggs and that their heads are being scrubbed clean... I didn't argue only because I'm having a bad day and didn't feel like a screaming match. I have three cats, a small dog and a ferret who because of it getting so cold so quickly this year do have fleas but are being treated - it just seems to be taking awhile for them all to die but I've never seen any fleas on myself or my kids and they've never complained about itchy heads. I believe my kids may have dirt in their hair since they had been playing outside before going to their dad's house.

momof2inCT2007

Asked by momof2inCT2007 at 12:12 PM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Health

• Even when I was a kid we had five cats and two fairly large dogs who always had fleas, since they all went outside and played in the dirt, and neither my brother or I ever had any issues with fleas on ourselves.
    momof2inCT2007

Answer by momof2inCT2007 at 12:14 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Fleas are not supposed to feed or nest on human scalp. Is he sure that it isn't lice?
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 12:23 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Fleas won't infest on a human body because the of the different chemical levels or whatever between animals and humans, I've been told and that's what I've experienced with many, many years of owning dogs & cats. They may jump on and bite, but they won't stay. They don't like humans as hosts. Your hubby's telling you crap, probably trying to get you to feel worse. Also, he can't get rid of fleas by washing with regular shampoo (those buggers can hang on tight) and he definitely better not be using a flea shampoo for dogs/cats on your kids.

There are many harmless bugs that look similar to fleas, and if your kids were playing outside, they probably got some of those in their hair. Gnats and tiny flies often get tangled in hair and could resemble fleas, and you're right, dirt can resemble flea dirt/eggs.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 12:26 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Wow - ok I feel batter that I was right. Does anyone know where I could find this info like on a website so I could print it out and throw it in my ex's face when he drops the kids off?
    momof2inCT2007

Answer by momof2inCT2007 at 1:06 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• http://www.babycenter.com/404_is-it-true-that-kids-can-catch-fleas-from-a-family-pet_10310196.bc

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 1:19 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• if the kids have fleas then you have a bad infestation but when you get them i would use a lice comb and see for yourself if it is lice or fleas. If there are black eggs put it on a paper towel i and get it damp. If it is fleas the dirt will turn red. What are you treating your pets with? if it is an over the counter product i would stop it immediately and get some from the vet.at least for teh cats and dogs.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 2:27 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I've just started frontline for cats and dog and I use over the counter flea shampoo for the ferret. I've used powder on the carpets also and there is a noticeable difference in the animals itching but I'm still combing out live fleas from their fur.
    momof2inCT2007

Answer by momof2inCT2007 at 2:40 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• My daughter DID have a flea on her head a year or so ago and it did lay eggs. I picked the flea out, freaked out, cut her hair really short (lol - I dunno why) and then scrubbed her head with soap and water. It got the eggs out. It was weird.
    Anonymous