When is the right time to switch from a high chair to a booster seat?

justluvinmyson

Asked by justluvinmyson at 12:39 PM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'd let your child tell you ... there's no real reason to move them before they're resistant to the high chair, IMO. My first daughter was around 15-16 months and my second daughter is 14 months old now and is still in her high chair only because we haven't gotten her Kaboost yet (a booster that fits onto the bottom of the chair and raises it up -- I highly recommend it -- but she's trying to tell us right now, GET ME OUT OF THIS THING (she's acting up a lot during meals and wanting down, then if we put her in a regular chair she'll sit like an angel). I'd say look for cues -- if they can keep food on a plate and take a piece at a time, if they don't want to be strapped into the high chair but will sit nicely on their own.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:24 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• When a booster will be enough for them to be at the table and they will sit still.
    Anonymous

• John stopped his high chair at about... one and a half i guess it was. we tried the booster seat, but he was more interested in sitting on a normal chair with us.
    So i guess my answer is that he or she will tell you when they're ready. just give them both options!
    john2007

Answer by john2007 at 1:03 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• We stopped when she stopped spreading food all over her tray, and could easily just sit at the table rather than buying her another item that would be useless after a while.
    Anonymous

• My kids went right from the hi-chair to a regular chair. They sat on their knees. My daughter switched right after her first birthday! She was very aware that she was the only one in a hi-chair and wanted to be a big girl. My sons were 2.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:27 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I just put Chloe in one. She turned 2 Friday.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 2:21 PM on Nov. 29, 2009