should I worry?

DD is 11 1/2 months old and doesnt wave or point..she claps her hands together all the time, shes so good at it, I taught her with patty-cake at 8 months, and she will still patty-cake with me, but ive been trying to teach her to wave and she hasnt learned it, also she doesnt point at things..she does grab at stuff though. Im just alway so afraid of autism, people are always talking about it and it just seems so common anymore. She hasnt been answering when I say her name though, but this is when she is playing, she just seems like she wants nothing to do with me..but other times she answers..she plays great with other kids and is always excited to play with the big kids. She babbles back and forth with me great, and says mama, dada, babababa, and sometimes I swear she says hi and no but not sure..She has no problem smiling at me or giving me hugs, she loves to be tickled and giggles like CRAZY its so cute, she hit all her

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:43 PM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• milestones early or on time, she always seems soo bright and alert and curious and people are always commenting on how interactive she is and how intelligent she seems...but I guess this one thing is making me worry..that she wont point or wave, and it says for her age she should be able to at 12 months...should I worry??
    Anonymous

• She probably knows exactly how to do all of those things and simply doesn't want to. :0) All babies are different. It doesn't sound like Autism to me. Also babies tend to work on one thing at a time. If she is concentrating on learning more words she may not be interested in the physical stuff right now. Or is she is super focused on learning to walk she may not be interrested in anything new socially for a while. She sounds like a pretty normal 1 year old to me.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:49 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• yeah she is trying really hard to walk right now..shes been crawling for 4 months now..and started pulling herself up shortly after, like within 2 weeks..and shes been cruising the furniture and walking along stuff for almost 2 months...and for the last 3 weeks shes been standing up on stuff and then letting go to stand on her own..she can do this for atleast 5 minutes. shes getting sooo close to walking, she even stood up on her own from a sitting position, not using something to pull up on, I was soo shocked and excited! lol...with everything shes been doing it really seems like it will be any day now
    Anonymous

• Yeah, I think your LO is fine. No harm in mentioning it to the ped next time you go but it sounds like she has just decided that she IS GOING to walk and that's all she cares about for now. Some babies are perfectionist. They don't like to work on anything new until they have the last thing down pat.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:03 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• "It" says, "they" say, "I read in a book"....guess what..."It", "they" and the book don't know squat about your kid. And I'm pretty sure the baby hasn't read the book that says she should be waving by now.

Those things are generalities, not specifics. It's not like the day she turns 12months she will flip a switch that makes it okay for her to have milk suddenly, be walking suddenly, be waving suddenly or any of the other numerous things "they" say she should be doing.

IF you're that concerned, then you need to research autism. Not waving alone is not a sign of autism.
    Anonymous

• Every child does things at their own pace and when theyre ready. She knows a lot more than she lets on. She'll start doing all those things when shes good and ready to. If you're really concerned about it, talk to the pedi at her next appt, but Im sure its nothing to worry about. I always remind myself that everything is still new to these little ones. Its a lot to take in and learn, so if my DS doesnt do something when "they" say he should, Im not worried. Even at a year, she is being bombarded by new and interesting things every day. Its easy to get distracted with that going on.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 1:19 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Everyone is always so worried about autism. Why worry about it? If it is it is. There is nothing you can do to make it 'better' or 'fix it' so why fret over it? That being said your child sounds perfectly normal. A lot of babies don't wave.
    fourisplenty

Answer by fourisplenty at 1:47 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Fourisplenty---Why worry? Because early intervention is important with autism. That's why people worry. Ask any parent of a child with autism and they will tell you the same thing.

OP--your kid sounds perfectly normal to me.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:46 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• BridgetC...because worrying about it doesn't change anything. You do what you need to do for your kid, when you need to do it. Worrying about the "if" and the "what if" doesn't do a damn bit of good and only makes life miserable.

Fourisplenty is right....why worry? It's not going to change anything. If you suspect autism, then you have your kid evaluated and take it from there. Worrying about it won't change a damn thing.

I have two on the spectrum. Worrying never got me anywhere except depressed and stressed.
    Anonymous

• My first child never waved bye-bye or pointed as a baby; he also did not respond to his name much at that age. He is 5 now and developmentally normal.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 3:47 PM on Nov. 29, 2009