What is the benefit of asking random anonymous people on social network site, when you can research offical sources?

I was agnostic/atheist for ten years, but I read alot about religions. I came to the Catholic Faith by reading books and asking questions from priests. This is the Information Age where every religion has it's approved books and websites and clergy. So, why ask questions here when it's just as easy to get the "real" answers from the authoritative sources? So many of the answers are misleading and sarcastic that I feel it's just drama, nothing substantial goes on here.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:45 PM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Sometimes that is true, the whole point of the question is to create drama. But other times people are looking for answers from people who actually live something, rather than the official position of a church or religion. Other times they are asking things that are debatable or are just wondering people's opinions. Sometimes popular understanding is more important than official church doctrine.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 12:52 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Honestly I think people don't know how to research themselves, so they ask. My husband used to be like that until I kept telling him what my grandma told me: Look it up I was thumbing through encyclopedias before I was in school!
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 1:12 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• There are a lot of other reasons, I'm not religious so I wasn't referring to religious questions, but sometimes you just want a personal made for you answer from the questions being asked.
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 1:13 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• If you go straight to the source and feel good about it is one thing. Looking it up online and reading from an organization's standpoint is another. Not all organizations are truthful about their claims about theirs or other religions. So you have to pay attention to who it is saying it and why they might be saying what they are.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 1:13 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Because there are many people here who can reply in real time, and you don't have to rely on possible biased or untrue books. Besides, this is the Answers section of the site, and that's what it's here for. I would much rather talk to 50 other Pagan moms like myself online, than to read 1 person's story in a book.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 1:17 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• sometimes, people dont have friends and this is their only way to have adult contact.
    Anonymous

• While I agree that there is a lot of drama on here, I disagree that nothing substantial goes on. This is where the answers are the most real, the most raw, and the most passionate. That's not necessarily a bad thing. I think that passion is often lacking in "expert" opinions. Some people just want a simple, straight forward answer and don't want to have to read tons of material or wade through a lot of jargon to get it. (And let's face it, a lot of "experts" LOVE to throw around big words and specialized jargon!)

Also, why do you assume that people on here don't also read books, visit web sites, etc.? I know when I research something, I like to get my information from a wide variety of sources. And sometimes the posts on here give me a starting point for more resources.

If you ignore the drama and the sarcasm, you'll see that there are plenty of "real" answers on here.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 1:40 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Sometimes people are just lazy and want people to do the research for them (though I don't think that's a good idea myself), and sometimes people just want a direction. Sometimes people just want a variety of opinions on the subject. When I'm looking for information, I will sometimes ask my internet friends, if I think they might know where I can start looking. It saves me time. However, I would never ask random people I've never had contact with. You have no idea what kind of info you'll get.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:46 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Sometimes it's done to create drama - sometimes people try to preach their point of view in the form of a question. But sometimes someone needs guidance about where to find information. In addition to good information on the Internet - there is also alot of junk out there. Some sites look "authoritative" but are bogus and sometimes people don't know how to evaulate information they find on the Internet.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 2:11 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• poster.. your the drama starter.. why does it matter to you?! and why are you reading them then.. I will sometime ask a question too, some like to get others opinions and not just facts.. grow up!!
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 2:41 PM on Nov. 29, 2009