I'm getting married October 2010. I need help cutting the cost!

Church is a must. Reception will be at a fire hall. What we can afford is about $4500. What our total is up to is $5900. Any suggestions how to cut down the costs?!
We're already making our own favors. I'm picking the cheapest flowers....HELP!

john2007

Asked by john2007 at 1:01 PM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Money & Work

• If possible, look for an "amateur" photographer and dj. There are a lot of people out there who have experience and do great work but still need to build their portfolios. They will give you a heck of a deal! Also, decide what the most important elements of your wedding/reception are and focus on those. Personally, I cared more about the flowers and cake than anything else. I didnt care what the tables looked like as long as they had nice flowers. You have time to shop around a little bit so I recommend doing that. Do you already have your dress or are you factoring that into your budget because depending on your tastes, that alone takes up your entire budget!
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 1:08 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Maybe change from dinner to a cocktail type reception? Or from sit down to a buffet type meal? We had what was called stations which was similar to a buffet- different types of foods were served at different "stations"- one was pasta, one was meat, one was desserts and finger foods. The finger foods station was set up first as guests arrived so there was no designated cocktail hour which really helped save money. Also, have you considered Friday night or Sunday rather than the traditional Saturday wedding, you tend to get good deals at that time.
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 1:12 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• no booze will save you at least $500
    Anonymous

• When I got married, I used silk flowers for the bouquets, and they looked real. They were beautiful! My dress came from a store that was going out of business so I got it 40% off.Personally, I like casual wedding receptions as opposed to formal dinners. You can ask your close friends and family to bring a pot luck dish.It will be more fun, relaxed and memorable if you ask your friends and family to help you pull together your wedding.Ask around and I'll bet in your circle of friends and family, there are people with hidden talents, such as decorating, photography,sewing or even just bargain shopping ( that's my talent!) that will be more than happy to lend a hand. Since it's an October wedding, you can probably find some Autumn themed decorations on clearance at craft stores right now.Another thing, make a list of what is actually important to you to have for your wedding. You may find you don't need as much as you think.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 1:14 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• You can find some wonderful home bakers who will do your cake for a lower price compared to cake shops. Do a posting on craigslist under "wanted". I'm sure you'll get lots of responses. Ask for pictures of their previous cakes. Keep in mind that doing a wedding cake is NOT a cheap "hobby", so don't expect your dream cake for 100 guests to be $100. The usual cost will start out at $2 to $4 a serving, plus additional costs for detail work. Good luck, and congratulations!
    Anonymous

• check with the local newspaper...some of their photographers may want to earn some extra cash and they will most likely do it cheaper than a photographer.
    through word of mouth you should be able to find some one who will do your cake for cheaper than usual.
    Think about changing the meal to something more affordable and onyl buy champagne as far as alcohol goes.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:39 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I agree, do buffet, it's cheaper than a sit down dinner. Make your own flowers, ask someone like Albertsons to do your cake.
    Anonymous

• We not only did a buffet but some of the ladies in the family brought food items and that saved us a bunch.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:25 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Fake flowers. i had them and people couldn't believe it. My mom and I did them all ourselves. If the firehall allows, see if doing your own food is a possibility and have friends and family help. Do your own invitations, you can find kits at discount stores like ollies and big lots and also AC Moore and Michaels but they are more expensive. Ours were $4 for a box of 20. My sister's wedding was more formal and hers looked better than any professional ones I ever saw. Other things that hike up the cost like a DJ, consider finding someone you know who has a good music selection on their computer and is somewhat techie. My cousin did this and their music was awesome. A friend did our wedding pictures and they turned out great. Just some ideas. There are so many things you can do on your own without a professional! Oh, and my cousins had a 'cupcake" cake, that's something you can do yourself, for almost nothing.
    Anonymous

• Can you get married on a Sunday? I know it's in a church, but could you do it before or after services? A lot of times the other wedding stuff (DJ, caterer, etc.) can be cheaper on Sundays or even Fridays. Also consider having just appetizers and cake instead of a full meal. This can work nicely if you have the reception earlier in the day instead of at dinner time. Church ceremony at 2, followed by appetizers and cake at 3. Something like that. Unless you know a good photographer, honestly, I wouldn't skimp when in comes to the photographer by getting a friend to do it. When it's all said and done, your wedding photos are what you're going to have to remember the day by and you really don't want them to be crappy.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 6:01 PM on Nov. 29, 2009