baby only sleeps well when i'm holding her?

She'll sleep for hours in anyones arms but once I put her down, in the bassinet or her boppy or the couch, she gets so congested and wakes up within ten minutes. I can't get any rest, I swear I am exhausted.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 1:19 PM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She's 25 days old
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:19 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Oh and I swear she knows the minute I stop looking at her because she wakes up. Also the minute I close my eyes to go to sleep she knows.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:20 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Have you tried wearing her, either in a sling or other carrier?

Answer by rkoloms at 1:21 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I have two front carriers but she's just barely big enough minimum weight wise for them now, I could try.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:24 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• My daughters the same way, tey putting her down and putting pillows on eachside.Or, try laying her on a pilow and lie down with her for a minuite, I know they say dont put baby on the stomich but it works, maybe you can try that and just watch her and see how she does on that.Or you can try putting her on her side. These all work for my daughter.
    MamasAngelPie

Answer by MamasAngelPie at 1:39 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• what you need is not a front carrier but a wrap around sling. It's a piece of cloth that goes over one shoulder and around the back. It is adjusted with a two rings that the cloth threads through. You can carry any size baby in it and it can be used form newborn all the way up to them just being to tall to carry. There are multiple ways to carry a baby in a wrap sling. They are great fro fussy babies.
    fourisplenty

Answer by fourisplenty at 1:45 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Have you tried swaddling her? You can swaddle her tightly and then prop her up in the boppy to help with the congestion. I would also recommend a wrap, so you can wear her, calm her, and still get things done.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_swaddling-your-baby_125.bc
    http://www.mobywrap.com/
    prdill08

Answer by prdill08 at 1:59 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I would try swaddling her tightly (wait it out for a few minutes because she may cry at first... some moms take this as a sign that their kids hate being swaddled... but chances are she'll go right out soon after if you hold her/bounce her while swaddled). My daughter was like this. Also, you could try the Moby Wrap -- my second daughter loved this. Much more comfy than the front carriers...
    GL
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:31 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I would suggest a sling also. My daughter was like that so I KNOW how tired you are. I had to hold her for the first 3 months . . . wish I had had a sling.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:42 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I had the same issue with my son. I still do sometimes..but I've found some things that help. Buy a Swaddle sleep sack and put her in that. It makes them feel more secure. i'd hold him until he was almost asleep, then put him in his crib or the bassinet in our room. When he's start to fuss, I'd make gentle "shushing" noises while rubbing his head softly, to let him know I was there, then slowly back away. At first he'd fuss like that for about 4 or 5 times, and I did the same thin every time until he finally fell into a deep sleep. Now he falls asleep on his own much quicker. Good luck, I know it's hard! And believe me, even though it seems like they never will, they eventually start sleeping longer, so the sleep situation does get a little easier as they get older. :)
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 2:56 PM on Nov. 29, 2009