Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you end a relationship with the father of your child?

Things just aren't good and I need to do this for myself and my son, but we live together in my families house so I have no idea what to do.


Asked by Anonymous at 1:41 PM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (11)
  • If you have a good reason you need to tell him it is over and he has to move out. Hopefully you have tried to work it out and make it work already and if not you really should. You can end your relationship as it is but you cannot remove him from the picture if he wants to be involved in his childs life. You will have to make arrangemnets for him to see the child unless he wants to give up his rights. You don't say you are married so there would be no divorce but there will need to be an agreement if you want financial help. It could get nasty so try and be civil about it all and work something out mutually.

    Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:56 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

  • Sit him down and have a talk with him and tell him that things are not going very well and this is how you thought things would be, see if he wants to change, maybe go to conceling

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:44 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

  • you need to try to work things out with him if he is willing. It's not far to your child for you to throw in the towel if he may not even know that you are considering the end.
    and btw. even if you "end the relationship" you will be tied to that man for as long as he wants to be involved in his child's life. the relationship will not "end", it will simply change ...for better or for worse.

    Answer by outstandingLove at 1:46 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

  • I agree

    Answer by admckenzie at 1:46 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

  • It depends on why you want to leave him if you should go to counseling.If he is abusive etc..then yes, it's best for yo and your child..if it has nothing to do with that then yes you should try and work it out. But you should sit him down tell him how your feeling and if he's not mature enough to accept that then just be honest and tell him he needs to go.

    Answer by MamasAngelPie at 1:55 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

  • He's very verbally abusive and unwilling to change. I have to hold his hand though everything and he won't grow up. I hate being the parent of a 30 yr old and a 2 yr old. I'm trying to make a better life while he's just content to stay where he is. He's always saying how nice it would be to own our own home, but he has a job that only pays 400 dollars a week and he owes the irs. He's unwilling to take any responsibility for his life. He also continually gets speeding tickets and he rear ended someone the other day. I just feel like he's dragging us down with him.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:35 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

  • you need to talk to him and plan on moving out if its his families house. I would have a plan set up just in case for somewhere for you and your son to stay for at least a couple of days.


    Answer by tntmom1027 at 2:39 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

  • how about counceling. If its not going towork, then chances are both of you will come to that agreement and be able to move on while still being on good terms, and if its can work, then you can be proud that you gave it a real chance.

    THink you child deserves that much, that you atleast fight to save the relationship...and by fight, I mean counceling and communication.

    Answer by daughteroftruth at 3:50 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

  • sorry, but you cannot just "end" a relationship with the father of your child, unless said father is willing to terminate his parental rights! you and your child's father will forever be connected through your child. just one more thing people need to consider in choosing their lovers--you know, before they go making babies together.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:37 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

  • Just tell him you cant be with him anymore and he needs to leave!

    Answer by MarineAngel831 at 8:09 PM on Nov. 29, 2009