help -- night potty training

So about a week and a half ago we put my daughter in a cloth pull-up (plastic cover) at night time because she announced to us that she didn't want to wear diapers to bed anymore. We chose those because they're absorbent enough that we wouldn't have to change the sheets EVERY accident, but they still feel wet in them. We've tried waking her at 11 and 3am and taking her to the potty -- most nights this keeps her dry. But it's not fun setting an alarm, and I just don't feel like it's making any difference. Most of the time she hardly wakes up when we take her to the potty, and the times she has had an accident in her undies, she sleeps right through it (including wearing regular underwear at naptime). I'm very close to putting her back into diapers to sleep, but I feel like I'm showing her I'm giving up on her since she's the one who wanted to give up the diapers in the first place!! She's been day trained for nearly a year.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• OP here -- I forgot to mention, she has her last drink with dinner at 5:30, bed at 7:30. Also, we've tried skipping the 3am wake-up and each time she's been wet by about 5am when we check her.
    Anonymous

• My daughter wasn't night trained until after her 4th birthday; she was tying her shoes and reading long before she was completely out of diapers.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:30 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• you can ALSO TRY TO MAKE SURE THAT SHE GOES BEFORE GOING TO BED. aND NOW IN THE COLD NIGHTS PUT REALLY WARM P,JS ON HER SHE MIGHT BE COLD . AND GIVE HER WARM BLANKETS TO KEEP HER TOASTY. i WOULD STILL KEEP HER IN DIAPER S IF SHE STILL FITS IN THERM FOR A COUPLE MORE MONTHS.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 7:07 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• When she is ready to stay dry through the night you'll know it because she wakes up dry consistently in the morning. You can announce an arbitrary number (3 mornings dry, or a week, or whatever), but until her kidneys are concentrating urine and her bladder stops emptying itself automatically when it becomes full, you're fighting against reality and training yourself to take care of unnecessary potty needs in ineffective ways.

Do you want to be trained to take care of her potty issues, or do you want her to learn to?

If the latter (and I make no guesses, I know lots of moms willing to be trained), you'll have to wait until she is physically capable. If there is no dark insult in having to use diapers, because they're just to keep the furniture dry, you can wait patiently or impatiently, but her ability will happen in her time, not yours.

The choice, at this point, is lots of laundry or diapers. You pick.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:31 PM on Nov. 29, 2009