starting rice cereal..???

my 3 month old boy hasn't been satisfied at all lately. so i've given him a little bit of rice cereal (in almost liquid form w/formula) once a day for the last couple of days. he seems much happier and takes much better naps now. i was just wondering if anyone else has given their child a little bit of rice cereal this early?

**i also wanted to add that i do NOT put it in his bottles. he eats it just fine with a baby spoon. :-)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:52 PM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nope, I waited until the recommended 4 months, just gave him more formula when he wasn't satisfied.
    Anonymous

• Yes, I have done it at 3 months she is how 11 months,healthy and all!
    MamasAngelPie

Answer by MamasAngelPie at 2:57 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• My son is almost 10 weeks and I've contemplated giving him some, but I'm too worried about what it could possibly due to his digestive tract. His pediatrician said it most likely wouldn't hurt him if I only gave him a little, like a teaspoon, but I still can't bring myself to do it. Your son is a little older, though, and I've known plenty of people who have given it their babies a lot earlier than 3 months and their babies never had any problems. My son is the same way...he gets plenty to eat, has plenty of wet diapers, but still always seems hungry and fusses a lot of the time, until I give him more to eat. I'll probably end up waiting still, but then again, I'm really cautious when regarding him.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 3:01 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• We started solids at six months. there is great information here: www.babyledweaning.com and here: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 3:05 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• My son wasn't satisfied with just formula, trying to eat all the time and too full to take anymore, not sleeping well, etc. On doctor's advice, I added rice cereal to his evening bottle starting when he was 5 weeks old. BUT THIS WAS ON DOCTOR'S ADVICE--BE SURE TO ASK YOUR DOCTOR FIRST. (Also apparently recent research has proved it's better not to put it in the bottle, so ASK.)

pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 3:35 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• my son started rice cereal at three months and he started baby food not long after. he was eating constantly and wasnt satisfied either. go with your gut feeling. each baby is ready for different things at different times.
    denisekeene

Answer by denisekeene at 4:21 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• If he is growing and having enough wet diapers, then there is no need to give him more. . . . . does he take a pacifier?
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 5:14 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Babies who don't seem "satisfued" are generally going through growth spurts. Most commonly the first week, third week, six weeks, 8 weeks, 3-4 months, six months, nine months.

They need more formula at this time. If nursing they nurse constantly to build a milk supply. They may be wakeful, fussy, and clingy. They have a strong drive to suck for this reason. It's normal and short lived.

Food before one is just for fun. Thier digestive tracts are designed for milk not solids.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 6:19 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I wouldn't do that. I'd just offer more formula or nurse more if my child seemed hungry. I personally feel that it is too young for anything else.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:50 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Rice cereal is low in calories and nutrients --if anything, it will make him even more hungry than before, because it is so unsatisfying to eat: like eating a 40 pound bag of carrots... sure, you've eaten a lot, but it hasn't done much for the hunger... On the other hand, it's much higher in fibre and the iron supplement part of it makes it constipating, so you'll end up with three problems instead of one.

Most doctors have absolutely no more information about infant nutrition than you'll find on a box of cat food. Do NOT ask your doctor, because what you'll get is his/her personal opinion, and you can get that by asking strangers on a bus. If you want to know about infant nutrition, ask a pediatric nutritionist or dietician.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:21 PM on Nov. 29, 2009