Looking for unique ways to have a family gift exchange.

My family (there will be a total of 8 people) is doing a gift exchange this year for Christmas. We have never done one like this before. We are all buying gifts from $25-$30, but not for anyone specific. I am looking for a unique way of doing the exchange, a fun spin on just picking a gift, opening it, and/or stealing from the other people. Any ideas?

UCMamaMandy

Asked by UCMamaMandy at 2:54 PM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Holidays

• Sit everyone around a table. Roll dice whoever gets doubles picks theirs first.

Have everyone bring their baby picture (or a picture of themselves sitting on Santa's lap at Xmas as a child) put in a pile, pick one out and have others guess...then whoever guesses, picks their gift first.
    momjs

Answer by momjs at 3:14 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• We do a dirty Santa with my husband's family every year. All of the gifts under the tree are gag gifts, or really strange gifts that people find. It's a lot more fun then the general choose a gift, steal a gift, etc with gifts people will actually want. It's funny to see what people get and they're always great conversation pieces. Soo .. instead of doing gifts like you would actually buy people .. find gifts that are odd, unique, strang, or gag gifts to put under the tree this year.

The hubbs and I have a full Este' Lauder Perfume Chest set. It was my Grandma's and my dad gave it to us to put into the Dirty Santa pile this year. They are original bottles of purefume, with the perfume still in them, and you play chess with them. It is from the 50's or something. Really weird, but a really great gift for Dirty Santa.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:17 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Be careful with zoning and ordinances. If you are thinking of collecting money, donations, whatever, it could be a violation. It would stink to get a fine just because you were trying to make things a little more even. Really though, if you can't afford the decorations, then just scale them back. The reason for the season is to give not receive.
    Anonymous

• We also do gift exchanges for christmas but we put names in a hat and you pick one and then have to spend $25!
    MarineAngel831

Answer by MarineAngel831 at 8:03 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• What you are describing is called a "White Elephant."
    Here is a link to explain how it is done:
    http://www.santalady.com/xmasgame/whiteelephant.html

I have gone to a White Elephant party before and it was a LOT of fun!

PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:10 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Oops! I'm sorry! I just reread your message and you want an idea DIFFERENT from the White Elephant......I'm not awake yet...lol.

I like the idea of the first post where everyone brings a baby photo.

Another spin off is for everyone to write on slips of paper (one for each person at the party) what gift they wrapped. They place their wrapped gift on the table with the others. Once everyone has arrived and placed their gifts at the table everyone then passes out a slip of their paper to everyone at the party. Everyone then has to put their name on their slips and put them with the gift they think it belongs to. They are allowed to shake them to guess. The person who gets the most guesses correct gets to pick the gift they want and then the next person and so on. You can create your own rules, but this is the basic game.

Have fun!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:20 AM on Nov. 30, 2009