Daughter constipated bad please help

She's 15 almost 16, she gets costipated id say every 4 months at least and this time its bad she has really bad cramps and it hurts for her to sit down because of it. What are so home remedies that can help her? Also anyone know why this happens so often or even what causes it?

Thanks so much

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:12 PM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Fleet enema is the most immediate relief. My dd's doctor said she had to eat better and it would stop doing that. She changed her eating habits to eating rice and other oriental foods and she got better. I eat jalapeno peppers daily to help.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:14 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• You can do a laxitive. Any OTC laxitive will help. An enema could help too. I'd look in to IBS. It could also be diet related... is she getting enough water and fiber? Get her on a high fiber diet, a probiotic suppliment and an occaisonal laxitive for when it gets really bad. :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:19 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Eliminate dairy and meat. Cut way back on sugar and caffiene.
    Make sure that she drinks at least 8 8oz glasses of water a day.
    She should be eating 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables (in at least 3 different colors) every day.
    She should eat at least two servings of legumes (beans, nuts, lentils, tofu, etc.) every day.
    She should not eat any simple grains (like white flour, white rice, etc.); replace them with whole grains (brown rice, whole grain bread, quinoa, etc.

Send me a message offlist if you would like recipe / meal ideas.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:24 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• If it's that bad... I would do an enema. Has she ever done one before? Have her go into the bathroom... maybe in the tub and tell her to use the whole enema and try to not "go" right away... tell her to hold it in as long as she possibly can. And see if that helps.
    If she isn't already on Mirilax talk to her doctor about starting that daily.
    If she isn't better after the enema or refuses to do it then I would bring her into the doctor. (remind her if she refuses that she can either do it in the privacy of her home or you can bring her in and the nurse can do it for her)
    After she is better take a look at her diet and see what needs to be changed....
    I would also tell her she NEEDS to poop everyday... even if she doesn't feel the urge she has to try.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:44 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• She needs to make it a habit to drink lots of water DAILY. I know my teens hate to drink water, and I have to literally make my son drink water sometimes. Tea can be good for regularity, coffee does it for me, but water is going to be a biggie. Apple cider is what I call "nature's laxative." An OTC laxative might not hurt. Best wishes.
    GoodMomma24-7

Answer by GoodMomma24-7 at 9:48 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Look at her diet and water intake. A great deal more fibre than usual can cause this, particularly if she doesn't take in enough fluids.

Also, people who eat hardly any fibre will get bunged up periodically. Feed fresh fruits and vegetables and water every single day to avoid this. Avoiding it is a lot more comfortable than treating it.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:16 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• stool softeners work great and also pear juice in the baby food department
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 4:06 PM on Dec. 1, 2009