does anyone know anything about burns? 2nd degree?

My friends 7 month old was burned today when a cup of boiling coffee was poured on her. stupid waitress, anyways, does anyone know anything? treatment? hospital stay time? pain level? how they treat the scarring, is there much as she is so young?
please, any info(and prayers) would help. This mom is all alone in birmingham, and feels to blame(so not true)...ty.

Bearsjen

Asked by Bearsjen at 3:13 PM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Health

• First of all, if this is a baby and it's a possible 2nd degree burn, that baby NEEDS to see a doctor! I'm a nurse and also a child-burn victim myself. I was burned at the age of 9 by a wall heater and ended up with nearly a 3rd degree burn. The levels of burns are rated from 1st degree to 3rd degree. 1st degree is a surface burn (like what you'd get if you touched hot water and then moved your hand away from it). 2nd degree is a burn that has burned down to the 2nd layer of dermis and usually cause blisters. 3rd degree will usually burn down through the fat and muscle. These usually require skin grafts. Here is a link online that you can send her way in regards to treating a 2nd degree burn:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2338028_prevent-second-degree-burns.html?ref=fuel&utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=ssp&utm_campaign=yssp_art
    You can also look it up on WebMD.com.
    As for who burned this baby, the restaurant is LIABLE!
    JamiDesigns

Answer by JamiDesigns at 5:04 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• My daughter got burned, BAD, my got my CHI...yeah..anyway. There was no hospital no nothing. She was 8 months old. She has scars, nothing you can do, just take her to doctor and they will tell you how to bandage it properly.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 3:25 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• The hospital will tell her all she needs to know about it. I'm curious how it happened.. I understand that the waitress spilled coffee on the baby, but what happened that made her do it? (I'm just a noisy curious person)
    Anonymous

• I always advise moms to take babies to the doc/er for burns. There is a prescription medicine to help prevent skin infection, depending on how bad the burn is and where it is located on the body. You need to keep the area clean and dry, with probably a sterile gauze bandage. The pain is pretty bad. If you have never had a real "hot" burn before but have had sunburn, it's a little like that. Tylenol or tylenol w/codeine may be needed. Poor child. And poor mom. Accidents happen, that's why they are called accidents.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 4:45 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• My cousin was burned as a baby (i think he was 1.5 or 2.....he managed to pull a pan off the stove that had grease in it. They were REALLY bad burns though. He had multiple surgeries for years and unwent lots of treatments and physical therapy. You can still tell today (he's a teenager) as he has scars all over. But his was much worse that Neta I'm sure. In her case I would guess when she gets older she'll have little to no scarring...
    JessMomof2boys

Answer by JessMomof2boys at 4:47 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• She NEEDS to contact restaurant management. They will be responsible for this baby's medical bills in regards to this incident.
    Anonymous

• I got a second degree burn over the summer and did home care for it. I used an antibiotic ointment on it and gently bandaged it, changed it every other day and once it started to scab over I used aloe on it. I tried aloe right away but it hurt too damn much. I am all healed up and only have slight discoloration. Vitamin E oil helps minimize scars
    Anonymous

• She needs MEDICAL ATTENTION... She needs an antbiotic cream for this type of burn.
    Anonymous

• the baby is already in the hospital
    JessMomof2boys

Answer by JessMomof2boys at 5:24 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• 2nd degree burns are the most painful as nerve endings are still intact. Third degree burns, while my severe in nature, usually cause less pain because nerves are destroyed d/t the depth of the wounds. Burns can lead to dehydration and infection as the skin is the first line of defense for the body. I am a former Pediatric burn nurse (Shriners), please PM me if you would like more detailed info-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 6:40 PM on Nov. 29, 2009