Painkiller withdrawls.. no judging!

I have had numerous surgeries and a lot of problems with pain after childbirth. Pain killer addiction runs in my family big time (I'm not using that as an excuse just stating the facts) I have been addicted to painkillers for about a year now. I was recommended by a friend to take suboxone which is another drug like methadone to help fight cravings for pain killers. I have been taking the suboxone for about 7 months now and I want to stop. It makes me feel hot, moody etc. The doctor that prescribed it to me is no longer a doctor and now I have no choice but to stop. I have cut my dose in half today but I already feel miserable. Is there anything I can do or take to help with the withdrawls? I am a single mom and going through this while taking care of a 1 year old is HORRIBLE.. Please help me and again please don't judge... we all have our problems and I feel bad enough about it

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:41 PM on Nov. 29, 2009 in Health

• You may not want to hear this or take my advice......but I have a friend who takes that saboxin, and has problems getting it.....she says smoking a joint helps her some. Just a suggestion.
    Anonymous

• I would try seeing another doctor and explaining the situation, and see what they can do for you and what support can be offered
    Anonymous

• Try to find another doctor, see if they can prescribe something else; find a substance abuse support group in your area, you should be able to google it or find it in the community pages of your phonebook or the yellow pages. It's really important for you to find a support structure of some kind, family, church, a support group, anything so you don't have to do this on your own. Finding something in your area means someone can stop by and check on you or keep you company on a bad day, that sort of thing.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:45 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• You're going to experience tremendous stress coming off any addictive substance --it's nasty no matter what it is, and no matter what method you take. Some things that can help (and have helped a lot of people), in order of effectiveness:

hypnosis --what you believe and think about your experience will dramatically alter the experience you have, and hypnosis is a very, very effective way of changing beliefs

acupuncture --many people have reported ease and comfort withdrawing from all kinds of addictive stuff with the support of acupuncture

naturopathic support --improving your organ function and supporting your optimal health can dramatically improve the experience of withdrawl

barbituate coma --there is a lot to be said for waking up clean... moralists tend not to like this choice because they believe that the horror of living through withdrawl will stop people using again, but it often stops people quitting again
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 9:53 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I think you need to see someone so you can get some kind of anti anxiety medication or anti-nausea medication to help you with your withdrawals. If you are getting the painkillers without a prescription, I can understand not wanting to get seen about it, but you need something to help you with them because you are going to get very sick before you get better. I spent 3 years addicted to opiates and I know what you are going through.

Explain your situation thoroughly to a doctor and provide documentation of having suboxone prescribed. Otherwise, you may come off as a drug seeker. I am not judging, just speaking from experience.
    Anonymous